Aqueon evolve 8 feedback - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aqueon evolve 8 feedback

I set up one of these tanks a few month back and have done very little other than 40-50% weekly water changes. I havent even chabged the filter cartridge yet. (Actually going to buy more today)

No co2/no ferts
8w wave point micro sun high output led clamp light

Plants:
Some type of moss (sold as java moss)
Windelov java fern
Anubias nana
Jungle val
Bacopa
Water wisteria
Telanthera cardinalis

Fish:
2 White cloud tetras (I believe)
3 endlers guppies
1 cobra endlers
5 ghost shrimp

With the amount of maintenance ive put into this tank im very pleased with its progress. Plants are very healthy with steady growth and the fish are healthy as well.

Feedback appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365870229603.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	124993  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365870331661.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	125001  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Re: Aqueon evolve 8 feedback

Bump? Criticisms please

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Planted Member

I like the moss.

I too have an Evolve 8 and like it. Everything has grown well with the standard lighting. A bit annoying with the pump but nothing is going to be 100% silent (I don't think).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great!

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer_d View Post
I like the moss.

I too have an Evolve 8 and like it. Everything has grown well with the standard lighting. A bit annoying with the pump but nothing is going to be 100% silent (I don't think).
Thanks for the feedback! I actually got petsmart to exchange my original pump because it rattled and made so much noise. The second one works much better but every once in a while it loses its place and I have to try and push the suction cups on the pump back down. I ditched the stock lighting though and I have had pretty good results.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Algae Grower

You got alot of cool plants in there already!!

I like the placement of the moss, really goes with the flow of the driftwood!

May I suggest moving the fern out of the substrate and put it behind the driftwood? fern might rot if buried in substrate and it would look totally awesome sticking out from behind the dw!

Maybe get some low-lying plants for the foreground as well??

Anyway, a really nice start!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patson View Post
You got alot of cool plants in there already!!

I like the placement of the moss, really goes with the flow of the driftwood!

May I suggest moving the fern out of the substrate and put it behind the driftwood? fern might rot if buried in substrate and it would look totally awesome sticking out from behind the dw!

Maybe get some low-lying plants for the foreground as well??

Anyway, a really nice start!!
Thanks patson. The moss flowed even nicer before my 50% water change this week. It kind of flattened out the top (before it almost looked like a mohawk). Im trying to get it to grow down into the open space as well. Im hoping to create somewhat of a cave affect since the driftwood kind of resembles a hook.

As for the java fern I wasnt a sure where to put it but im going to take you up on that suggestion. Any thoughts on placement? More torwards the right/left?

Also any suggestions for some foreground plants? Im thinking im in the area of low light and maybe if im lucky medium light but im not sure with this fixture.

Thanks again

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also, im about to turn this into a killifish species tank and was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on floating plants. I've used frogbit before and I liked it but the current in this tank is a little on the strong side

Last edited by jbig; 04-17-2013 at 02:53 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbig View Post
Thanks patson. The moss flowed even nicer before my 50% water change this week. It kind of flattened out the top (before it almost looked like a mohawk). Im trying to get it to grow down into the open space as well. Im hoping to create somewhat of a cave affect since the driftwood kind of resembles a hook.

As for the java fern I wasnt a sure where to put it but im going to take you up on that suggestion. Any thoughts on placement? More torwards the right/left?

Also any suggestions for some foreground plants? Im thinking im in the area of low light and maybe if im lucky medium light but im not sure with this fixture.

Thanks again

hmmm..the fern...I would try to move it to the far right behind the DW...it is just my personal preference, I like to see ferns creeping out from the dark lol, it might not look good to start with, but once they reach out its really nice.

But after all, this is your own tank! Do whatever that pleases u the most!

hmm foreground...what about a flat rock with fissidens on it?? It requires medium light tho so im not totally sure. meh i dun really know much about low light foreground plants...perhaps other members can shed some light?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patson View Post
hmmm..the fern...I would try to move it to the far right behind the DW...it is just my personal preference, I like to see ferns creeping out from the dark lol, it might not look good to start with, but once they reach out its really nice.

But after all, this is your own tank! Do whatever that pleases u the most!

hmm foreground...what about a flat rock with fissidens on it?? It requires medium light tho so im not totally sure. meh i dun really know much about low light foreground plants...perhaps other members can shed some light?
Thats where I was thinking of putting it as well. Ill move it around after I do a water change tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be picking up a couple pairs of killifish for this tank (as well as my new fluval fixture for my 20L ) I know my LFS carries fissidens and I do like the look of it. Perhaps I will give it a shot. It may help the cave look im going for! Thanks for input!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode