10g tank. Comments please! <56k warning> 5.28.06 New Pics! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
10g tank. Comments please! <56k warning> 5.28.06 New Pics!

Hello I'm a noob to planted tanks, and i wanted some tips on my tank. Make it look better. Unfortunately i have a VERY low budget, being 14 years old. THis tank is about half an year old.
Here are some pics

Water: tested with Jungle Quick Dip 5-n-1 Test Strips
Nitrate:0
Nitrite:0
Hardness:300
Alkalinity: dunno this part is weird. Half of the thing is one color half of it is another color. the top half shows its 300kh and the bottom shows 80. (does this mean nething????)
PH:7.8

Also i just started doing DIY co2 through a limewood diffuser.

Fish:One otocinclus, and about 13 white clouds
Plants:
Hygrophila difformis
Dwarf Saggitaria
Anubias (nana?)
Willow moss
some crypt
hornwort
anacharis

O yah and the pics i took at that time were at late at night so the wisteria r more "open" in the day.

Last edited by sandiegoryu; 05-29-2006 at 05:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 12:20 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would say you might need some red plants
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What red plants do you recommend? I would want something low tech and readily available. I have either 2wpg or 4wpg. I dont remember... Either the bulbs were both 10 watts or 20 watts.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 12:56 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Some of the reddish brown crypts will grow well even if you have low light. (I grew them in my tank -- SLOWLY -- with less than 1 WPG for almost a year before upgrading my lighting to 2.5 wpg.) And they are pretty readily available -- my LFS has them often, and I've seen crypts at Petsmart from time to time.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well i did the smartest thing i could do, and looked at the labeling on the bulb. It says 6,500k and 15w... so thats 3wpg. Ok I will try to get Cryptocoryne beckettii, which says its easy to take care of, and light levels can be low or high. Also might try the other brown ones. Do you know if any of the crypts could be sold on those "grow your own bulb" things?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:44 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The plants look good, but I really don't like the rock pile. If it were my tank I would remove it.

I'm not crazy about your substrate either, so I would get something short growing up front and center - it looks like you just added the willow moss.. maybe a few more discs? Or more dwarf sag.

Just my personal opinions... other than that I think it looks great!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
The tank looks great. It could use a trim, but the jungle look is nice too. You should try to sink that airstone so the bubbles have more time to disolve.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:05 AM

Id certainly want to neaten it up abit. Nice plants but try to trim and/or replant also to get a nice bushy, neat but not artificial aquascape. Id certainly cut everything back and put a bit of driftwood in there. Then put all the plants behind the driftwood and try a moss carpet or somethnig in front of the wood - i the foreground. Good luck!

Edit - Oh, and i dont know if it's me, but shouldnt he have at least some nitrate levels to combat ammonia?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well thanks everyone. I have trimmed the wisteria yesterday and replanted it all... I have a gut feeling that wisteria is kinda too big for a 10 gallon tank, or maybe i can throw away some, and rescape a lot of things.

O yah and i dont like the gravel either nddonegan. I will try to buy more if i get more money, and prob something with fert in it. And what do you mean by the rock pile? you mean the flat rocks with wisteria on it? If so, I was planning to let the willow moss grow and get that cool shape, and then once i get more gravel, make a good rockscape out of it, but theres not much room... O yah and what do u mean by discs?

and about the nitrate level. theres a really small tint of pink in the test strip. I cant read 5 or 10 on mine. I can only read 0 or 20 so i said 0 beacuse it was a lot closer color to 0. i would say about 5 is my ppm.

I would also love a driftwood in there... but low budget you see. I might visit some kind of stream looking for some, but most bodies of water are pretty far from me, and being 14 I can't drive myself.

Also, I've kept the dwarf sags in there for 3 months about now, and none of them are propogating. Any tips?

Edit: O i know what the rockpile you were talking about is. That was a plastic(?) decoration that i bought almost since i started fish keeping. I will probably get rid of it.

2nd Edit: Yah and i put the airstone below the intake so most of the bubbles go to filter, otherwise most that escape r really small.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok im tired of edits, so im just gonna post another one.

Ok about the red plants. I will try to get some cryptocoryne becketii. On this website it says its easy to take care of, and stays red. Anyone have experience with this plant?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

WELL

I changed a lot of things. First of all, I took out all the wisteria, cut the roots that were not underground, but on the nodes. Then i threw ones that look more like the emersed wisteria than the submersed wisteria. The water is a little cloudy due to the roots uprooted which caused lots of mini debris to cloud the tank.

Where do you think i can put the red plant? Right now I am considering Becketti (seems that it can turn green. Anyone know how to keep it red?) or some other brown-red crypt.

I left more room on the foreground, so maybe i can get a dwarf sag grass effect. I might consider glosso, but is 30 watts good enough in a 10 gallon?
I also planted the floating anacharis.(one is still floating...) and yes that is a scratch on the tank.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
For red plants, I would just go with a simple ludwigia, hygro 'rosenvig', tiger lily and rotala rountifolia(rotala indica in fish stores). Dwarf sags would work as a foreground nicely. I wouldnt recommend glosso though, I wouldn't grow them in gravel size that big. Try to have a deeper substrate as well as smaller grain, from the looks of it its only 2" deep.

Btw..if you are short on cash, try to sale your trimming on swap and shop
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 01:32 PM

Looks alot better but i agree that wisteria will eventually have to be replaced, its still way too big for the tank and puts everything out of scale. Driftwood isnt that expensive so you should look into it. My dwarf sags were propagating either but then when i rescaped, i moved them to a more spacious place that gets more light. They now propagate like mad. Good luck
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I am planning to trade my hornwort and wisteria clippings for some other clippings, preferably red plants. So wish me luck on the trade... I have no idea on how to package plants and where I can go to ship them...
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok someone is giving me free clippings free shipping. So i will be planning to use my budget on some of Seachem's fluorite. Is it alright if i just mix it together with my existing substrate?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode