Is 12V halogen light good for a small tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi everybody, i was wondering about the use of Halogen ligthing over a small aquarium. I like the light-color and the spectrum contains much red. It's soooo beautiful to have just an small open tank with halogen.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If you can live with the fact that most of the energy you feed into them is wasted as heat... why not?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 02:17 PM

They are very inefficent, but not as much as incandecents. They are only about 25% as efficient as flourescents. However, the spectrum produced by hallogens is typically pretty good for plants.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys, because the light of CF and other are a little bit coldish and not very cosy for an open tank in the livingroom. I already have a few halogen lights, so i only have to connect a couple of them to the transformer...I like the lovely colors of the halogen, but i think i already told that :lol:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger
They are very inefficent, but not as much as incandecents. They are only about 25% as efficient as flourescents. However, the spectrum produced by hallogens is typically pretty good for plants.

are u sure about this ??? cause i have a hallogens lamp that i dont use.... is hallogens gud for a 2gal nano tank.... i have a glosso plant... and moss? is this gud?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
halogens are about as inefficient as incandescent, about 17 lumens per watt. Use it if electricity is cheap in your area.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjhay27
are u sure about this ??? cause i have a hallogens lamp that i dont use.... is hallogens gud for a 2gal nano tank.... i have a glosso plant... and moss? is this gud?
You might have heat issues over a 2gal tank. The halogen lights put out a lot of heat....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknoschtev
You might have heat issues over a 2gal tank. The halogen lights put out a lot of heat....
no heat issue.... is just that im on a tight buget dats y i can affort a proper light right now
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I tried Halogen over 4G nano cube

I tried 12V over my 4g newly set-up nano cube with the light about 2-4inches above the water. I had some problemes with heat (27*C) but i had only a betta in there so he liked that.
Some white slime algae got over my aqaurium(not sure if thtis is because of the light or that the aquarium is only 1week old)

In this week that i had the halogen over my aquarium my Hyhrophilla corymbosa leaves are red and so is my rotala.

P.S. Now i have a 23W spiral cf but i don't see so much CO2->02 activity.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode