DIY CO2 for a nano*need ideas* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
DIY CO2 for a nano*need ideas*

I would like to see/hear about some DIY CO2 setups and recipes for nanos. i am considering CO2 for my 2.5 that i am starting and dont really have a clue on what to do for a small tank.( i dont want to have to much CO2) thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
for my nanos I simply use smaller containers and reduce the recipe down

For example: My 1 gal has a baby food jar reactor and a 35mm film canaster bubble counter. the difuser is simply a wood air stone whos tube runs through another 35 mm film canaster. The tubeing is held inplace to the back wall of the tank by two suction cups.

Its actualy a rather cute set up!

The tank is starting to grow in nicely, however, I think I am going to switch the plant types around to give it some more diersity.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

do you have any pics? i am curious on how this looks. and i was also curious if you change the ratio of the recipe ingredients to get less CO2?(ie less yeast)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:40 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry, off-topic I know, but what type of tarantula is that in your pic hurley0816? Itís beautiful.
-C
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thank you for the compliment. the common name is indian ornamental, latin is poecilotheria regalis
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:33 PM

Awesome animal. Quite a looker I must say!
-C
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Algae Grower

I simply dosed Excel every day for my 2.5 and it worked MUCH better than when I was using DIY C02!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think I would do the Excel route if you only have 2.5 gallons. DIY CO2 can be such a bother over the long haul which means over time one gets lazy and procrastinates = uneven CO2 supply = algae. It shouldn't be any more expensive than the sugar, etc. since you would need such a tiny amount.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:37 AM

i am currently using the lime wood airstone as my diffuser in my 10 gallon tank and it seems to work out pretty pretty fine. it produces very fine bubbles continuously
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley0816
do you have any pics? i am curious on how this looks. and i was also curious if you change the ratio of the recipe ingredients to get less CO2?(ie less yeast)
Sure. I can take some tomarrow. I should have been in bed 1 1/2 hours ago. LOL

I find that the difficulty is with my cats interfering with my tank set up by useing it as their own private drinking fountian

On a serious note though, the only problem that Ive found is that since this is such a small co2 system I need to keep an eye on the reactor to check for fermentation. Typicaly I change the CO2 once a week.

I have also adaped this same method for use in my 55 gal tank. For that I use 3- 1 gal water jugs (the big ones with the handles) which I fitted with basicly the same set up.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:29 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennett
I think I would do the Excel route if you only have 2.5 gallons. DIY CO2 can be such a bother over the long haul which means over time one gets lazy and procrastinates = uneven CO2 supply = algae. It shouldn't be any more expensive than the sugar, etc. since you would need such a tiny amount.
DIY CO2 for a 2.5 isn't such a bother. What I do is get 2 Gatorade bottles (the medium ones) and do the Jello thing. I put 2 cups of sugar per bottle in the Jello mix. That's it. All you have to do is after 2 weeks or so mix up a new batch of yeast mix and that's it. The Jello lasts pretty long. I've had the same Jello in for about a month or a month and a half and I just change out the yeast mix.

I also dose Excel and just a bit of Flourish. I have J. Moss, J. Ferns and some Chain Swords and they're doing fine. They all pearl and the betta seems to be doing fine also.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley0816
I would like to see/hear about some DIY CO2 setups and recipes for nanos. i am considering CO2 for my 2.5 that i am starting and dont really have a clue on what to do for a small tank.( i dont want to have to much CO2) thank you
For starters get yourself some Gatorade bottles. I'm using the one smaller than the big squared one and it works fine. Now I have 2 of them for each tank. Fill one half way with just water. The second one is for the mix. Make your self the Jello thing with it. Add 2 cups of sugar to the 2 6oz packs. Overnight it and "BAM", it's done. Mix 1/2 a teaspoon to start it off. If you don't like the outcome of it then raise the yeast up by a quarter or so. I'm using 1 - 1 1/2 tsp for my mix. When it starts to lessen in output just mix up a new batch of yeast and leave the Jello in and pour out just a bit of the last batch. That way you won't need to do the whole sugar thing again since it's in the Jello.

Oh, and get a glass diffuser. It works with the DIY CO2.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplove
For starters get yourself some Gatorade bottles. I'm using the one smaller than the big squared one and it works fine. Now I have 2 of them for each tank. Fill one half way with just water. The second one is for the mix. Make your self the Jello thing with it. Add 2 cups of sugar to the 2 6oz packs. Overnight it and "BAM", it's done. Mix 1/2 a teaspoon to start it off. If you don't like the outcome of it then raise the yeast up by a quarter or so. I'm using 1 - 1 1/2 tsp for my mix. When it starts to lessen in output just mix up a new batch of yeast and leave the Jello in and pour out just a bit of the last batch. That way you won't need to do the whole sugar thing again since it's in the Jello.

Oh, and get a glass diffuser. It works with the DIY CO2.
Jello? Ive never heard of useing jello in a DIY mix. Does this really work? What is the reasoning behind having the jello in there?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:48 PM

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 AM

I'd have to support the Flourish Excel option. The difficulty with DIY CO2 in such a small tank, is that there is serious potential for over injecting CO2. As well, your plants may grow almost 'too fast' with the CO2, which means more maintenance (frequent prunings).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode