New to forum, start of 2.5g nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to forum, start of 2.5g nano tank

Hello all!

I just joined a little while ago but I've been checking things out for awhile and really like this site. I liked it so much I finally decided to switch over my 2.5g snail breeding tank (have dwarf puffers) and turn it into a nano tank...I'm soo excited! But I have a few questions/concerns...

So I was thinking of getting a 11" 18W Mini Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture by ODYSSEA, you can see them at http://www.aquatraders.com. Will this be enough light for most plants? I know about the watt/per gallon rule, but this seems to change when dealing with nano tanks...is there a good rule of thumb for wattage on a nano?

Currently I have an in-tank foam filter (so I didn't suck up baby snails) but want to switch to a HOB to save room. Either a Aqua-clear mini or Redsea Nano. Any opinions on which is quieter/better for this size tank? I want cherry shrimp eventually, so how do I prevent them from being sucked-up into the filter?

I have a nice piece of mini-drift wood and some fluorite already in the tank and I know I want to add some dwarf hair grass and Anubias Nana petite. But what I'm not sure about is what ground-coverage to use...HC, glosso or baby tears? What would be the easiest to keep? Also, I want some color so what would be a nice small 'red' plant for the background? Maybe Ludwigia, Rotala or something else?

Once I get it going I'll post some pics. ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated and all advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance!
-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
welcome to the forum! Im still a newbie too. put a pre filter sponge over the intake for the cherries.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to jeff63851
I heard many problems with aquatraders in another aquatic fourm (reefcentral.com) I can't find the post, but I found one on google: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=61151 Aquatraders seem to have a bad shipping method, and bad communcation. Some people here have good things to say though, so...

I am also starting a nano tank, but I am still waiting for school to be over...

Good luck!

Fluval Pimp Club #1

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered the redsea nano filter; it seems like a good one and I’ll just wrap the intake with some netting mesh I think.

I tried to buy the Compact Fluorescent Light, but they were out of them. I sent them an e-mail, I guess I’ll just wait and see what happens. Makes me nervous that you think they might be no good…any other lighting options I could take? I’d like to have the lighting and filter set-up by this weekend because I have plants coming in next week. Not a huge issue, but I’d just like to move forward with the whole thing…I feel like I am always waiting for something!!

So plants…I have some dwarf hairgrass, Anubias Nana petite and Hemianthus coming. I thought about adding some ricca too but don’t want to over-do it with plant types. Don’t know yet… I’ve decided on 1 Red Temple as my big ‘show piece’ and color for the tank. I think it will work as long as I keep it trimmed well. Then again, maybe Rotala would be easier to care for…

After it’s been up and running awhile I wanted to add some cherry shrimp and either Dwarf Rasbora (pigmy) or Peacock Gudgeons…not overly fond of white clouds but what do you guys think?
Thanks all!
-Chris
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

oh, ya, one more thing...seriously-18watts or 24watts for this size tank. Don't want to waste the time and money in buying the wrong thing. How much light should I have for a 2.5 gallon tank with the plants I want?
Thanks!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
I think 18w is plenty. I've 18 in two of my 2.5s. What are you going to do about your carbon source? DIY CO2?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 13w cf from ikea that cost about $10 dont know if you have one near you but it might be worth looking into. It has worked well for me after one simple modification.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Hum, ikea…I’ll look into it if I can find it on online, no ikea in Champaign. Thanks though BSaint.

Filipnoy85- I was hoping to ovoid CO2 and just do furts. Going to dose with Flurish but hadn’t planed much beyond that. I could certainly use some help in this area too if you have some ideas/suggestions. Do you think I need CO2? I know I read about someone with a square nano using a DIY with Glass Diffuser…but detailed info on this would be appreciated.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
You may be able to get away without co2. I just like putting it in because plants grow great, even with the diy stuff. A perfect example of the difference between co2 an nonco2 can be found here.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...s-non-c02.html

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I guess I'll wait on CO2 and see how it goes, although that is a pretty dramatic difference!
I picked up a coralife 18w mini from Sailfin yesterday. Seemed to me a lot of people where using it with great success so I just went with it. Today I plan on refitting it with mounting legs. Now I’m just waiting for the new filter and plants to come in this week. I ordered some cherry shrimp…those should come next week. Still haven’t picked a fish yet but really like peacock gudgeons or Gertude’s Rainbowfish…what do you guys have?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Hey your from Champaign? I'm from St. Joe! If you need any plants (I have a ton, plus some rare types) e-mail me and you can pick some up! Free of charge! You need a Co2 source? I have 2 liters of Excel lying around, I'd be happy to spare a bit. Need cherry shrimp? Got you covered. Need a pair of endler's? Covered as well. I love helping newbies.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 04-13-2006 at 02:49 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Wow really? That would be…wonderful! I could use all the help and direction someone’s willing to give! Do you use Sailfin much yourself? What type of Co2 do you use, a DIY? Do you prefer excel vs. regular flourish? I’d heard about ‘melting’ plants with excel use.

So I have a bunch of stuff that should start showing-up end of this week and next. I ordered 10 cherry Shrimp and those are coming in next Thursday…geeze I hope they are as easy to keep as ghost shrimp. I also got some Pigmy Dwarf Rasbora. I figured if they don’t work well in my nano they will do very well in my 30g community tank (not planted as of yet…next project!!) Looks like I’ll have a bunch to do when it all arrives! Once I get something put together I’ll post an image or two.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use Carbo Plus right now but will be moving to pressurized at the end of the month. (Yeah, I know, make fun of me.....but my plats are doing well and algae is kept at bay). I use Excel for my low tech ten gallon, and as a supplement in my 15 gallon with Hagen Co2. BTW, I go to Sailfin all the time, but they are ridiculously overpriced. *Sigh* gotta support local business I suppose.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Ya, I agree with sailfin being over priced. I wanted to buy some water sprite the same day I picked up the mini coralife and they told me it was $5 for this tiny little potted thing. Ha! So I ordered some on-line for $1.50 a plant - even with the shipping it was cheaper, go figure. They are good when it comes to certain things, like their saltwater stuff. I just don’t think they make as much money off the freshwater stuff so they don’t try as hard.

But the owners cool, he’s very into helping the customer and most of their staff are knowledgeable…except when it comes to plants. One guy didn't know what a javafern was...

Have you been able to successfully breed your endler’s?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Breeding endler's is like breeding cherry shrimp.......leave them alone and they will breed like rabbits......from what I understand, anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode