DBP 3 gal long "Mossagumi" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
DBP 3 gal long "Mossagumi"

I've been following somewhatshocked and MABJ's 3 gallon long tank journals for a while and loved them. Now I've finally set up my own! I'm trying to create a "mossagumi" tank, low-light and running without CO2, but with an Iwagumi look using a moss carpet. I'm planning some short, small-leaved stem plants growing among the rocks, and maybe some tall hairgrass behind them.

Inhabitants will be PFRs and pond snails.

New tank still wrapped up:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=25306

The box from AllPet came smashed, ripped and mended on one side with white tape with the word "OKAY" written across it. Looked scary, but they'd surrounded the tank inside with tons of bubble wrap and it was just fine when I unpacked it.

Some of my album photos are persistently uploading upside down, but I can't figure out why. They all start out right-side up on my end. Here is an upside-down photo of the empty tank ready to go:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=25354

I had 3 pounds of Ryuo stone and a 3 liter bag of Aquasoil from ADG. I ended up using about half the bag of Aquasoil and all the Ryuo stone. I wish I'd ordered at least another pound. I got three stones and would have liked a little more flexibility; I ended up using every bit I had.

Two stones were awesome: triangular and just right for making mountains. The third one was too big for what I wanted, and kind of blob-shaped. I took it out onto our concrete patio and dropped it a few times, which helped. I ended up with several small pieces that I used to prop up the biggest stone, and although the biggest piece was still bloblike, it was at least smaller.

Here's the hardscape:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=25322

I had everything shifted to the left to make room for the filter intake, then realized the filter needed to go on the left, so I had to move all the stones back over to the right. Argh.

I planted some rotala of an unknown species from the LFS around the rocks. It spent a while floating in my Spec V and didn't get enough light, so it looks pretty bad at the moment. Have to see how it does.

Planted (and upside-down. Sorry! I'll try to fix that):
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=25362

I'm planning an all-moss carpet, probably Xmas moss or mini Xmas moss. I put the 3x3 mesh with triangle moss that I had in another tank on the right side to get an idea of what the moss carpet would look like. I like the look quite a lot. Now I just need a bunch of moss to fill it all in.

Still not quite happy with the middle stone's position. I may try to angle it a little more and move it a bit forward. However, it's holding up my slope in the back. I hope moving it doesn't cause a landslide.

Filled:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=25346

I'm running an Azoo Mignon 60, using the stock coarse foam as a mechanical filter, and a bag of Biomax and a little of the dense foam from a Fluval Edge refill kit.

After searching the lighting info, I decided to live with the Marineland single bright that barely fits on top of the tank. I'm going to tape one end down to the tank so that the whole light doesn't slide off. I thought about a Finnex Fugeray 16, which would solve my space issues, but after looking at the PAR at 6" below the light, I think it would be probably be too bright for a non-CO2 tank.

It's been fun! Now I get to wait and wait for it to cycle so I can add my shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Awesome! Your concept sounds cool. I would definitely play around with the rock placement though. Maybe use the pointiest rock as a focal point and use the others to build around it, maybe coming from the left side of the tank to cover the filter some. Looking forward to seeing it develop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~~~~~~

:
DBP 3 Gallon Long

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode