Temps not stable & keeps fluctuating - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Temps not stable & keeps fluctuating

I have a 3g pico.

I purchased a 7.5 watt heater from Drs Foster & Smith. The tank doesn't have a lid. With the warmer weather and the heat in my apartment on (that I can't control) it gets quit hot in the apt. So I open the windows. The room cools down but it's not cold yet the water temps drops a lot!

In the am the temps are 80-82 but have dropped in the evening to 72-75.
That's the range between 82-72.

Are there any mini heaters that you can set the temp that would keep the temps stable? Should put plexiglass on top?

I have cherry shrimp and one guppy fry in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

72 and 82 is a big difference. And the reason why your parameters keep changing is cause you are constantly adding new water do to evaporation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

There are loads a mini heaters that are adjustable on eBay. You just need to have a browse and see what size heater will work with your dimensions. They might not be the prettiest of things but they should help maintain a steady temp

joey24dirt

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could probably get one of those XL reptile heating pads even, that's what I did for my old 2.5 in the winter and it kept the water 74F

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitcher View Post
I have a 3g pico.

I purchased a 7.5 watt heater from Drs Foster & Smith. The tank doesn't have a lid. With the warmer weather and the heat in my apartment on (that I can't control) it gets quit hot in the apt. So I open the windows. The room cools down but it's not cold yet the water temps drops a lot!

In the am the temps are 80-82 but have dropped in the evening to 72-75.
That's the range between 82-72.

Are there any mini heaters that you can set the temp that would keep the temps stable? Should put plexiglass on top?

I have cherry shrimp and one guppy fry in the tank.
The problem is those mini heaters do fluctuate way too much. I was going to use the Aqueon Mini 10w (suggested by Aqueon for their Evolves) and I returned it for an Aqueon 50w adjustable glass heater. Temp does not fluctuate at all, unless you call between 80.4 and 80.8 fluctuating.

The smallest I saw was Tetra had a fairly compact 30w glass heater, I think it is adjustable. It is about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of my Aqueon one.

But I have never seen one of those mini or slim heaters that people did not complain they fluctuate or eventually break.

On the petco site, they sell some brand, I think Hydro or something along those lines that are suppose to be a little better than the Aqueons.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I check the water contantly throughout the day and before and after adding water. It's not from adding water. I'm very careful to add same temp water. It's because my apt temps are not stable.

I will check eBay for heaters.

I don't want to add a lid but if I must I will.

Thanks
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's the heater I have in my DBP 3 gallon, and it's an on off heater, goes on when its too cold and off when it's too hot,

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-C10-Compact-Heater-10-Watt/dp/B003TLWWOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364745874&sr=8-1&keywords=Marina++heater

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

I also use that heater in my spec. Maintains a steady temp

joey24dirt
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
The problem is those mini heaters do fluctuate way too much. I was going to use the Aqueon Mini 10w (suggested by Aqueon for their Evolves) and I returned it for an Aqueon 50w adjustable glass heater. Temp does not fluctuate at all, unless you call between 80.4 and 80.8 fluctuating.

The smallest I saw was Tetra had a fairly compact 30w glass heater, I think it is adjustable. It is about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of my Aqueon one.

But I have never seen one of those mini or slim heaters that people did not complain they fluctuate or eventually break.
Huh? Really? I can't speak to the aqueon, but I've used the marineland equivalent (10w heater) in many pico/nano tanks, and they have ALWAYS performed reliable. As long as you don't mind the 78 degree preset, you're good to go.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

Keep in mind, smaller volumes of water have a harder time keeping a steady temp. Also, I would try putting the lid on for a couple days and see what the results are. Evaporation is a great way to cool down.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have always used Marineland Visi-Therm heater. They've been reliable on my larger tanks. I have a 50w but I think thats too much. Maybe the 25w would work?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason K View Post
Huh? Really? I can't speak to the aqueon, but I've used the marineland equivalent (10w heater) in many pico/nano tanks, and they have ALWAYS performed reliable. As long as you don't mind the 78 degree preset, you're good to go.
Just went by what I read about various non-adjustable mini heaters.

Also, it matters where your tank is. At my office, so far the temps rarely fluctuate. And I have no experience with anything smaller than a 4 gal.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I can say from personal experience, the 10w preset thermostatic heaters work great on 3 gal tanks. 78 degrees also is a suitable temp for both RCS and guppies.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ordered the 10w Aqueon mini heater from amazon for $15.23.

I just need to figure out what to do in the meantime.

I guess I will try keeping the room temps stable.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitcher View Post
I ordered the 10w Aqueon mini heater from amazon for $15.23.

I just need to figure out what to do in the meantime.

I guess I will try keeping the room temps stable.
If you didn't want to wait, Petco and Petsmart has those for only $17.

That was the same one I was going to use. I just opted not to because I have a larger tank and could fit the 50w Aqueon in it, although at nearly twice the price. Plus I needed to stay closer to 80 without much fluctuation.

Evolve-lution Member:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode