8g Finnex nano tank pictures - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
8g Finnex nano tank pictures

Hi everyone! Took a picture of my tank. Although I could not figure out how to turn off my flash on my camera. Sorry about that!

Can you let me know what you think about the layout? It has been up for about 4 weeks or so. I am new to planted tanks so any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed! Plant ideas would also be great. I origianlly bought plant that seems to be hardy. I have seen some plant growth but not much, although when I rescaped yesterday the root systems on the plants had grown quite a bit. I was able to get Java Moss from PT member Phalas, he also gave me a three other plants: 1 Java Fern, the other one he gave me is in the middle of the photo and quite light in color compared to the rest of the plants. I am unsure of what type of plant this is? He told me but I can't remember now!

I have three small guppies right now may possibly add another type of fishy at a later date.

the tank seems to be pretty stable at this point. I am not testing much at this point, PH is 7.8, ammonia is about 0. (still learning!) temp is at about 78. I am adding Excel everyother day or so (just a ml or two) the lighting is 24w finnex light that came with the tank. I have not seen much alge (yet) and praying that I don't. Just a few spots on the glass and at the egde of the substrate and glass. Also adding a Kent Fertalizer and water changes weekly (about 40%). I soaked the drift wood for 2 weeks prior to adding it, but tanins are still leaching!

I appreaciate any suggestions you might have!

Duff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Looks nice right now but in just a few weeks most of the plants will out grow the tank. Infact some of the swords will take up the whole tank by themself. The plants are not suited for such a small tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks aquaphish, I had a feeling that they will outgrow but for some reason in my neck of the woods there is not much of a choice in plants. I am on the hunt for smaller varieties... The few places I have seen smaller or dwarf varieties they looked hoorible and I though it a bad idea to put unhealthy looking plants in a new tank. I thought as they grow larger they will get moved to the back of the tank and smaller varities can then be put in the front. I bought 5 plants or so but they were in rock moss and when I took them out they ended up being more plants (if that makes sense?)

Does the driftwood placement look appropriate? Would you change anything?

Duff

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
the drifwood looks great! i think it could do with some moss tho.. also maybe the tank will look good as a joungle keep all the plants in there for 2 months... yes two months i said. thats a tip i got from the general planted tank section sticky then start changing things.. your guppy fry will love a joungle

-=- fish newb -=-
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I defiantly agree... swords need a HUGE tank. I bought ONE baby sword. 6 months later it had turned out to be a 'mother plant.' meaning it was sending out shoots everywhere, blooming, ext. It and its offspring have now compleatly taken over an entire 29 gal! And to think.... when it started it could have easily been planted in a 1 gal...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Nice tank Duff. I have the same one. I like it very much.
I didn't read everyone elses replies to you so maybe I'm repeating here.
I would add some foreground plants? Pygmy hairgrass, hc, glosso.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Matthew! I love your tank also! One of the reasons I got the tank! I just ordered HC to put in the foreground, should arrive mid week. Very excited! Should make a big difference! Thanks for the comment!

Duff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode