My Evolve 4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Evolve 4

I found the Evolve 4 at my local Petco for $34.98 and couldn't resist!

I decided to set it up and try my hand at some plants again. I'm thinking of putting a dwarf puffer in here as I've had them before and really enjoy them.

I purchased sand(I've never used sand before, but I Love the look of it) and a piece of driftwood and set it up:

I replaced the filter cartridge with a bag of carbon, a big foam pad and put biomax on the right side where the pump is:

Today I went out and purchased some plants! Purchased an anubias and two java fern. I also started cycling the tank.

The front right corner looks lonely. I'm not completely satisfied with how the tank looks. Thinking of adding moss or something. Any suggestions? I really want to put in some dwarf hairgrass but I don't know how to plant it with the sand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Looks ok for a start. Quick tip, remove the carbon as it might remove some stuff that's useful for plants.
Hairgrass would look nice but might have a hard time thriving in just plain sand and the stock light. You can try it and see what happens. Or buy some and try growing it in regular soil and transfer to the tank when there's enough to cover the front area.

Nikon Pimp #41
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xev11 View Post
Looks ok for a start. Quick tip, remove the carbon as it might remove some stuff that's useful for plants.
Hairgrass would look nice but might have a hard time thriving in just plain sand and the stock light. You can try it and see what happens. Or buy some and try growing it in regular soil and transfer to the tank when there's enough to cover the front area.
How could I get the hairgrass to stay in the sand?

If I remove the carbon should I just replace it with another piece of foam or more biomax or something?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
You would have to insert it deep enough so that it doesnt float up. They should be in mini bunches of around 3-7 strands of grass. More is ok too but don't just stick the whole bunch in one spot.
Either foam or biomax will work. I use only foam in my filter but people use bio material as well. It just needs to build up the good bacteria.
I dont know if you know all about cycling and all that good stuff. Read up if you don't.

Nikon Pimp #41
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What is up NY? man I miss NYC sometimes. Only lived there for a year, but WOW what a year!

Yeah, I did the same thing. Petco Clearance sale on the Evolve 4s. That pretty much made up my mind LOL. I was debating on the 4 or the 8, or even something else altogether. Then I saw the clearance price and I was all "I will take one!" Although now I wish I had 2 of them!

Good luck on you build. Get some clearer pics too! Did you get the plants from Petco too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
What is up NY? man I miss NYC sometimes. Only lived there for a year, but WOW what a year!

Yeah, I did the same thing. Petco Clearance sale on the Evolve 4s. That pretty much made up my mind LOL. I was debating on the 4 or the 8, or even something else altogether. Then I saw the clearance price and I was all "I will take one!" Although now I wish I had 2 of them!

Good luck on you build. Get some clearer pics too! Did you get the plants from Petco too?
Hey there! I actually don't live in NYC, I live in the capital region near Albany.

I went back to the same Petco hoping to pick up another one of these tanks but they were all gone!

I'll try to get some clearer pics. I hate cell phone pics >.<
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated picture Added a moss ball.

What other plants do you guys think would look good?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode