Back in the game: First nano/iwagumi - 6 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Back in the game: First nano/iwagumi - 6 gal

So after a hiatus of several years, I decided I needed some serenity in my life and got back into the hobby! This is both my first nano and iwagumi setup, and will also be my first experience with a high tech setup. I got about half the stuff I need so I decided to go ahead and set up the tank. I plan to do a dry start. I'd love any comments or suggestions on my hard scape.

As far as filtration, I've got an old xp2 that I'd love to put to use, but I'm not sure how to get it clean or if it will be too much flow for the tank. Ferts will probably be ADA. I'm thinking dwarf hairgrass for the back corner in between the rocks, HC for the remainder of the tank. Maybe a little blyxa or eriocaulon to break it up as well.

Tank: 6 gallon schuber wright rimless
Light: Finnex ray 2 16"
Substrate: Aquasoil Amazonia
CO2: pressurized, 5 lb tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The XP2 will be too much flow IMO. I have one, and I used it on a 28 gallon where it had strong flow. I'd look for an eheim 2213 if it was me. Sounds good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~~~~~~

:
DBP 3 Gallon Long
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
The XP2 will be too much flow IMO. I have one, and I used it on a 28 gallon where it had strong flow. I'd look for an eheim 2213 if it was me. Sounds good!
Cool yeah I figured that would be the case. I had it on my 29g and it was pretty powerful. Thanks for the suggestion!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If the 2213 is too much flow, it can be reduced using the quick connects i believe. Something like that. If it was me, I would probably purchase a 2211 impeller, giving you the flow of a 2211 with the media space of a 2213. Lot's of people run 2213's on smaller tanks though, so I'm sure there's threads with lots of info. on here. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

~~~~~~~~

:
DBP 3 Gallon Long
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
If the 2213 is too much flow, it can be reduced using the quick connects i believe. Something like that. If it was me, I would probably purchase a 2211 impeller, giving you the flow of a 2211 with the media space of a 2213. Lot's of people run 2213's on smaller tanks though, so I'm sure there's threads with lots of info. on here. Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Thanks man. Once I get some hc and get it planted ill post a few more pics. Ill look into the 2213 and 2211, next on my list is a regulator so a new filter will probably be the last thing I pick up. So I've got a bit of time lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Re: Back in the game: First nano/iwagumi - 6 gal

Best of luck. CO2 is not my domain, Milwaukee regulators seem popular. Keep us posted

the addiction continues...

~~~~~~~~

:
DBP 3 Gallon Long

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode