Eclipse 3 Gallon Rescaped (Updated pics 4/21/06) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Eclipse 3 Gallon Rescaped (Updated pics 4/21/06)

I was on break this week and decided that my tank needed some changes. I mixed the regular black gravel that was previously in the tank and the rest of some flourite I had left over. I also brought some plants from my other tank into this one and swapped some small swords from this on to the other.

Questions; Is there any way to tell what type of vallisneria (I think) that I have in here? or how to tell if the lobelia cardinalis is the normal or the small type?
Also the crypt in the left corner said it was wendtii "brown", but could it be the green version or does the color come out when it is under better condtions then were present in the LFS "plant" tank?

Additionaly the cabomba in the back left corner is not permanant, but merely there to help avoid any water problems from the change.

I would love to hear any type of feed back, good, bad, suggestions for anything else. Thank you

Last edited by AlaskaRiver; 04-22-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have you upgraded the lighting in the tank? If not, you're plants will not survive.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 02:08 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think you will need more light. I have an Eclipse 7 gallon and it was just an algae factory with the stock eclipse light. For some reason I would just get sheets of a rich green algae. The algae did not come until after I added some java moss. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, could have been coincidence.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your concern, but I have an AH 13W retrofit on the tank, even though the pics sometimes don't show it. I was at the LFS today, its nice to have one across the street from where I live, and I saw these anubias packaged together that I thought would look good on the lonely driftwood.
However I don't know what kind they are, so any any help would be greatly apreciated. They look different from other ones I have seen in that there leaves are more skinny, rather than rounded.

Here's some closer pics

However, whatever kind it is my amano shrimp seemed to approve, it was on it almost immediately.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
verj nice..
I have an old esclipe 3 lying around.. i might have to set it up.

do you have any pics of your AH supplu lights setup..
if so please post them..
thanks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the AH stuff, works great and easy to install.

Please note however in these pictures the reflector still has the protecting film on it, that's why its yellowish. And trust me from personal experience, make sure you remove it before using the light because it is not fun to peel off later.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 02:37 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Tank looks nice. As for the lighting I retrofitted my Jalli canopy with the 2X 13w AH supply setup. It sets above an 8 gal. But to be honest I really do think that the lighting is marginal. I am planning to add another 2X13w.

It seems that the WPG rule does not work with CF and even smaller tanks. With 26Watts over 8 gals. I get 3.25WPG and I don't get any pearling, the red plants that I have transplanted from my 40 gal have lost much of their color. I have 2.5 WPG in the 40 gal and the plants really show their colors and pearl like a bottle of your favorite soda pop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 PM

What is "AH"? I also have a 3 gallon eclipse. Thanks!

Phil
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:41 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
"Ah Hell"

J/k.

Ahsupply.com

Check it out.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actualy, I beg to differ on this one guys. I have a 5 gallon mini bowl tank that has been up and running for more than SIX MONTHS and I have not a speck of algea anywhere. I have not modified the lighting in the slightest and I have had such socking amount of plant growth that I have been continuely trimming.

I also use NO ferts and since I dont have a timer on the light it sometimes also is sometimes on for longer than it should be (like all weekend when I'm away). I briefly used CO2 in the tank but that caused me to have to trim too much. So I stoped doing that. The plants havnet suffered since it was removed. Also, I only do very small partial water chages once a week. Simply put this tank is totaly left alone most of the time. I dont want to desurb my fry very much.

Never had a speck of algea!

My fry tank:

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
alaska i think it would be nice if you got some moss on the wood. that is deffinatly an anubus since you can see the rizhome. but i dont know which one it is..

greensider- the reason yours is probably different is because its your fry tank.. fry usually eat algea also.. they also add some nutrients... aka poop. also you plant choice anarchs and other low light stems im guessing make sence for your light. i guess it all how you go about it...

-=- fish newb -=-
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Fish, I was thinking about getting some moss for the wood. I had some on the wood previously but got rid of it all because it didn't look good. If I can ever find some decent looking stuff I think I'll try it again. I also added some more branches to break up the valley between the wood. I also trimmed the hell out out of the val becuase it of breakage from the move. Additionaly I got a wendti "green" crypt for the LFS for free because it had almost all melted away. However I have heard that they will come back once they are settled in more permenant location as longas the roots are okay. Is this true?
I all put up some more pics to show what I am talking about later.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb
a

greensider- the reason yours is probably different is because its your fry tank.. fry usually eat algea also.. they also add some nutrients... aka poop. also you plant choice anarchs and other low light stems im guessing make sence for your light. i guess it all how you go about it...

-=- fish newb -=-

Actualy, I have alot of plants in there that are not low light plants. Including hair grass. They do fine. The difrence with the lighting is the size of the tank.

And FYI: about 30 or so 1/4 - 1/2 cm long rainbow fry.. dont produce enough waste to have a real fert effect.

The difrence is the size of a tank. Its defiantly possible to have a small nano tank (I'd say, 5 g tops) with standard lighting. Anything larger than that and you will have issues.

You dont need an expensive lighting set up for such a small tank. Its simply not nessesary unless you are going for something like a salty nano.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRiver
Here are some pics of the AH stuff, works great and easy to install.
Thank man..
It looks great...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Updated Pictures

Here are a few new pictures of the tank taken yesterday. Most things are going okay, I added anarchis a while back, along with 2 small pieces of pennywort from my other tank. The anarchis and the cabomba are most likey going to be taken out in the near future. The only problems so far is some BBA growing on the anubais. The vals and crpyts are really starting to take off. After the first picutres were taken I trimmed the vals back to about 1 inch becuase they broke during the move. Additionally I trimmed any bad leaves off the crypt do to some initial melting, but that quickly stopped and it has starting growing very fast. I also added some branch wood in between the two main pieces, but they are hard to see in the pictures. Sorry about the pics by the way, all the anarchis and cabomba at the top of the tank make it hard to get enough light on the main part of the tank to get a good picture without a flash. Any comments would be appreciated. I will try to take a picture after taking the stem plants soon.

Here's one with the flash on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode