Hairgrass Hell - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hairgrass Hell

This will probably be pretty noobler in questions, but I'm kind of at a wits end and need some advice/help.

A few months ago I picked up an innovative marine 16 gal aquarium. I'm still currently using the stock skyye clamp 8w 10k lamps. Along with it, gla's atomic diffuser and regulator for co2 are also used. I went with the ada substrate system (full thing: power sand, aquasoil, and additives).

Up to this point, I've been following frank wazeter's old mixed carpet guide on setting up and getting going. And this has worked quite well. However, I'll admit to my rookie mistake that most likely set it off. I was doing 25% water changes every time instead of 50% because I wasn't sure on getting the water back in due to the tank's design without disturbing the 'scape. I have since corrected this with a shelf nearby for me to do a siphon back from a bucket slowly into the tank. Assuming what I've read is right, hair pops out because of high nitrates which most likely had happened as my ammonia was hovering at around .5ppm at this point suggesting the cycle was about complete.

For plants, I went with hc for a carpet, Anubias nana, Ludwigia glandulosa, Bacopa monnieri, and Cryptocoryne spiralis.

Water params are: 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
ph: 6.8
gh: 25
kh: 40

Currently dosing with 2 pumps of brighty k and brighty step 1 (due to switch to step 2 soon).

Now, the initial removal of hair algae was done by hitting the tank for a few days with flourish excel (2x full tank dose due to the amount) after doing a 50% water change. That was followed by another 50% water change where I used some airline hose and a toothbrush to clear out the debris. Sadly, I had to remove the ludwigia as it was taken out by the excel as well.

I'm seeing it trying to come back and I've been keeping it at bay as much as I can, but wondering on ideas to improve the situation. The only thing I keep thinking in my head is that there is something wrong with my plants not up taking all the nutrients they get daily to out compete it. The other one is possibly because I have the lights running for 10 hours (dropping to 8 helped some, but it is still growing). With the ludwigia gone and not really being keen on the look the anubias is giving, would faster growing plants help (thinking a red flame where the anubias is and cyrpt wendti green in place of the ludwigia)? Am I correct in assuming the lights are not helping matters any (although, it has been nice not having the common dust/diatom starter outbreak because of it)?

Picture of tank just before the hair really took off:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Algae Grower

What are your co2 levels like? Going off previous experience you need the co2 to be pretty high while everything is settling/growing in. Also the lighting you have may not be enough for the plants. HC would need more light I think

joey24dirt
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Co2 is right on the happy green with a 4dkh solution in the drop checker. That leads me back to the lights and the more blue shifted spectrum it has. Time to look into that finnex ray2 I've been thinking about I guess.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Algae Grower

If there's no livestock in the tank there's no harm in cranking the co2 right up just to give the plants the best chance...that's what I do anyway lol

joey24dirt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode