Grassland planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Grassland planted tank

I work for a marine supply place online, and I've never been interested in fish. In fact, since working here, my interests have diminished completely as I've heard so many problems about their tank.

This was saltwater. I've recently seen freshwater tanks, and I must say they are gorgeous, and I've been told MUCH easier to maintain.

Anyway, so now I'm totally excited to get a tank, and I have it all invisioned in my head. The tank will be kept here at work, in that, we can only have up to 12 gallon tanks. I will get a 12 gallon nano, and I want the foreground to have a dense grass field that should consume about 1/2 the tank. In my head I have a pump making the grass wave as if there was a wind. Maybe a tree-like plant in the center of the grass field. In the back, I want something like a rainforest enviroment.

I was looking through the site, and it seems the Dwarf Hairgrass is what I want to go for with the foreground grass. Am I right? A few questions for you guys here:

1) Is it possible?
2) Will this look good? Or will it look like crap?
3) What will I need to get?
4) How much should it cost, do you think?

I don't want a thick bunch of plants in the back, rather, a few that look cool, and hang here and there, like a rainforest-type thing. I figure, if I do the grass in the front, and plant setup in back, I can concentrate on one or the other at any given time if I feel like it.

Advise please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
The "wave effect" will need a powerful filter, which most fish don't like.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gaboozlebag
The "wave effect" will need a powerful filter, which most fish don't like.
Shouldn't a small pump do the trick for a "grass in the wind" effect? By all means you probably know more than me, I'm just making sure you know my intentions.

Thanks

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:07 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
1. Anything is possible.
2. Anything can look good . . . . if done correctly I think it would look sweet
3. Have you done any researching? If so, narrow your question down a bit! If not . . . .
4. Hard to say, but an estimate:
-JBJ 12 gallon deluxe aquarium comes with filter and lights. $169 on sale.
-you will need to change a bulb from the actinic to 6-10,000K.
-substrate (fluorite or ecocomplete are cheap in that amount) $20
-Some fertilizers, Seachem is a good choice for smaller tanks.
-a heater $20
-plants ($?)
So a VERY low-ball estimate would be $250 bucks. You could go cheaper of course, there are always ways to cut corners . . .

Oh yea, the wavy grass . . . . I've never had dwarf hairgrass, but I'm absolutely sure that you could find a way to put some current through the grass. Might just take a little DIY plumbing, or an extra pump, but it's definitely possible!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:11 AM
nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
1. Anything is possible.
and that is the answer everyone is looking for

but, being a newbie myself and not even havin a planted tank yet, I think it is important to realize what you're getting into. I believe it's two ways to do this; try running it with a "gut" feeling, and then learn as you go, which is what I plan to do at first, which may or may not work. Problem is that if something goes wrong you're kind of screwed... Or, learning as much as you can before you start. Which is, of course, the better way. But takes a lot of time and planning before you can even start setting up a tank.

Your idea of the grass in front sounds nice. But really, the feeling of seing your plants grow and the beatiful pearling is enough... A live tank, made by yourself, is better than the best pictures I don't think you need the wavy grass. Then again, it's nothing wrong with trying new ideas, it might just be a bit more difficult than anticipated...

Good luck
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:38 PM

Make sure you get the right sort of hairgrass as well. There are plenty of types of dwarf hairgrass and some dont carpet very. I suggest getting some hygrophilia polysperma, you can trim it regulary and create other little 'trees'. Good luck with it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
there is a device you might be able to get at your office called a SCWD. it hooks up to a power head and splits it into two returns. only one return will operate at a time. you could plumb it so the out lets come around to both sides of the tank facing the middle. this would probably approximate your waving grass if you tried it.

another option would be a powersweep powerhead. <-- gotta keep it clean!

the problem I would think, is that power heads create turbulence in the water, which translates to the surface, and surface agitation is the enemy of CO2, which your plants most desperately want.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:29 PM

If you're serious about wave action, do a search on "carlson surge device", or just "surge device".

www.reefs.org have lots of discussions about these, as they're good for reef wave action.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:24 PM

I was just wandering is 12 gallon classed as a nano? Aren't nanos meant to be small or does it mean something else?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
A real nano, literaly, Is about as big as the period right here.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
It will be more than possible with a small powerhead. I do not suggest adding the rainforest type thing in the back, though, as it is likely to look cramped. I would just do the hairgrass and "tree."

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode