Advice: My first planted nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Advice: My first planted nano

Im trying to start my first planted tank right now, maybe 5-10G. I took a trip to Walmart today and they were selling a 10G with kit for $50, is that reasonable? Im trying to save as much money as possible. I also also went to a couple of private stores but they charge too much and they didnt have any live plants. I live in San Jose, any suggestions on where I should visit? Also I need to know what type equipments do I need to maintain a small nano tank besides the tank itself. Sorry for all the newbie questions, Ive searched and didnt really found everything I was lookin for. If possible please show pics of your tank and how much did it cost for the entire setup. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:32 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Walmart kit will not have enough light, nowhere near the light needed.

You can get a 10gallon tank for $10 at some fish stores, and a decent 25w CF desklight for $25 at lowes.. a bag of Shultz aquatic soil at lowes for $5 Add some DIY co2 on a 10 gall and you got a 10gal planted tank with sufficent light and co2 and good substrate for under $50... A 10 gal if you do 25% water changes twice a week you shoudlnt need a filter with a light bio load.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
www.craigslist.com also 6thAve aquarium in SF has great prices.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:11 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can try dolphin pet store but I think they can be pricy some times. Whatever size tank you get make sure you get strong enough lights. I got the florescent tube fixture from dolphin but come to find out latter that it will only really grow low light plants. So I would suggest the AH lights if you want to do it right the first time. Then use fluorite for a substrate and DIY co2 system if you growing med. light plants. Your on the right path by asking but make sure you know what type of plants you want to grow first then go for what you need after that. O yea there is another fish store around down town but don't know what its called maybe king something. There is also a 1.6g at catalinaaquarium.com but I don't know how their products rate or you can go ebay.
Good lick and keep asking ?'s

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode