Need advice: downsizing to a nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to gil_ong Send a message via MSN to gil_ong
Need advice: downsizing to a nano

Hey guys, I've been pretty happy with my 36-gallon but now need to downsize. My wife and i have a 2-yr old now, and are expecting twins in June. So we need to make space.

have been looking at the Fluval Chi and Edge.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what's the big difference between the 2 and why does the Edge cost so much more.

I'll have some Red Cherry Shrimp in the tank, together with some Galaxy Rasboras.

I've been using Flourite for years and don't think I'll have much problem salvaging the stuff that's currently in my 36g. But a friend also gave me a 16-lb bag of Activ Flora. Any thoughts on one or the other?

I'll also have to restock plants completely. I have some HM and I generally like them. With good lighting, they should stay low and dense. Right?

How easy is it to upgrade the lights in the Chi and Edge?

I also have one of these that i'm using in a 3g vase right now. That's where everyone is currently housed and it's got some plant that i do not recognize/can identify in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-Aquarium-Heater-Watts/dp/B0006JLPFE/ref=sr_1_6

I actually kinda like the vase. No maintenance at all except to top up water once every other week or so. But you can't really see the critters unless you get up close, and I'd rather not have my 2-yr old THAT close to a vase that's not the most stable thing there is.

I know, very random and disorganized. Just looking for thoughts and it helps me organize my thoughts when I write it down and have something to refer back to down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Having been looking at Nano tanks myself, so I will chime in.

The Chi is smaller than the Edge, and much more simplistic. The CHi comes in a 5 gal size. The Edge in either a 6 or 12 gallon.

I know there used to be lighting concerns with the Edges, but I believe they have been upgraded to LED lights, although there is a guide from someone on here who did some simple upgrades to really improve the lighting on the cheap as well. This was with the 6gal though. It was really easy to upgrade to better LEDs, and he also found a way to add a small CFL of sorts to improve over lighting as well. It was really amazing. All couldnt have cost more than $50.

I have not seen anyone remark about the 12 gal. I believe there would be more challenges to lighting one of those.

Had I known it was so easy to upgrade the lighting on the Edge 6gal, I think I would have saved money and got one of those. I think they look awesome. The next time I do a nano tank, I may look into getting one (when they are on sale for around $99, and spend the $50 on upgraded lighting.

As for the heater, I know some pet stores that carry Aqueon products have one for about $15 for nano tanks.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, DefStatic.

I'll definitely look into the 6-gallon Edge. i need to keep the thing small(ish) so that I can set it up on a side table.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you set on those two tanks? If not, what's your budget? I've been researching Nano's alot lately, and there are so many options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~~~~~~

:
DBP 3 Gallon Long
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

definitely not set on those two. they were just the ones that came to mind.

not really have a budget since i'm not really sure what else is available. would like to keep it cheap(ish) though, $100 all in would be great.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Need advice: downsizing to a nano

Fluval ebi or flora. Found my ebi for 86$. Just some options...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Planted Member

I have a 6 gallon edge and really like it. Yes, get the one with leds for plant growth. The only drawback is the small opening but that should be good for your little one and it really isn't that big of a deal when it comes to servicing.

http://fishyaddiction.blogspot.com/
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks, Alaskan Fishface. i really like how you've set up the 6g. you dog looks so awesome!!

are you running an extra filter just because of the bio-load?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Algae Grower

I don't have any actual experience with any of these, but I love the look of Edge and the Aqueon Evo set ups. The Evo lighting isn't great from what i've heard, but it will do for low light plants like anubias and mosses. It's also really easy to upgrade from what I understand. I've heard that the light on the Chi is pretty useless when it comes to plants.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

here's what i have growing in the vase right now. anyone have any idea what it is?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fluval Ebi and Flora are nice tanks, but your going to be keeping fish and shrimp. Those tanks aren't really appropriate for fish imo because of the limited horizontal space. Look into the Eheim Aquastyle series, a bit higher than your $100 dollar price point, but nice kits for the money. I'd spring for the 9 gallon, they are $140-$160 if I remember correctly. The various Fluval nano tanks are unique and attractive, but the footprint isn't necessarily the best for what it sounds like you want to do I think. There are some other nice nano kits made by Finnex/Schuber Wright. I wouldn't rush into it, look around and research as much as possible.

~~~~~~~~

:
DBP 3 Gallon Long
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have a 4G schuber wright setup purchased from e.ba.y. Included in the setup was a Finnex Fugeray light and Finnex 360 cannister filter. No complaints at all. They also offer the package for 6G tanks.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/96%)
they look like guppy grass
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Planted Member

Hi, Gil.
I don't have a second filter on the edge(maybe you saw the tubing from the tank beside it?)
Just the standard set up and no leds yet. Just have low light plants and they are doing well. If that is guppy grass I like it!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ah yes. Physically checked one out at the LFS today. Wife likes how it looks. But not thrilled about the price.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode