Anyone ever tried a NP mason jar? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Anyone ever tried a NP mason jar?

If so, do you have pics or tips on how best to start one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUNSUN Pimp #103 Model HW505a Fraternity of Dirt #155
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have one that has been doing well for a while now.

I put about 3/4" of miracle grow organic potting soil in the bottom, capped with pool filter sand. Planted a java fern plantlet from an established plant and a couple of misc. stems (not sure what they are). I put about a half dozen ramshorn snails and filled with water from an established tank. I do a complete water change every week with water from the same tank. No dedicated light, it just sits in a window that receives full sun for around 6 hrs/day. Plant growth is slow, but the snails are doing really well.

*** Not sure what "NP" means (assuming Nano Planted??), so sorry if this is off-topic.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Here's my mason jar:

And an old coke bottle. There's a java fern plantlet in there, but it's hidden by the rocks.

Both are showing (very slow) plant growth, and both have red ramshorn that are thriving.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
I have one that has been doing well for a while now.

I put about 3/4" of miracle grow organic potting soil in the bottom, capped with pool filter sand. Planted a java fern plantlet from an established plant and a couple of misc. stems (not sure what they are). I put about a half dozen ramshorn snails and filled with water from an established tank. I do a complete water change every week with water from the same tank. No dedicated light, it just sits in a window that receives full sun for around 6 hrs/day. Plant growth is slow, but the snails are doing really well.

*** Not sure what "NP" means (assuming Nano Planted??), so sorry if this is off-topic.
NP is natural planted.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

[Ebay Link Removed]

Might do this instead because we have a coffee theme in our kitchen.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Um...can't post ebay links???? Nevermind

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
i actually just started one about two weeks ago. had some java moss that i didnt know what to do with, so i wrapped it around a cool stick and threw it in a ball jar with sand as a substrate and a couple pest snails. i didnt like the ball letters being in the way of the 'scape' so after a couple days i switched it over to an old pom tea glass. if i remember, ill post a pic when i get home from spring break. its a neat little temporary tank
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I keep all my extra floaters in jars. Some also have soil capped with sand. One of them also is home to a small chain sword, some pennywort and a bit of marsilea minuta.

~Toni

|
|
|

|

Member in good standing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode