Greenwater advice - blackout w/ shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Angry Greenwater advice - blackout w/ shrimp?

Good morning - I totally rescaped my 1.2 gallon fishbowl and added sand to change the look alittle. Now . . . I expected some cloudiness, but after 24 hours it was still cloudy. Better, but still cloudy. I have done 30-50% water changes every day for about 4-5 days and the cloudiness is starting to take on a greenish tint so I am assuming that I have green water. I can do a black out but . . . I have no where else to put my shrimp. Will the blackout period hurt my plants and shrimp?

Last edited by katy_bug; 03-06-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Katy, Iīm no expert, I've never had green water, but I guess a couple days period of black out would not harm the shrimp and plants, you can try it and see what happens. You can try some RO water changes, maybe the water in the fishbowl is heavy loaded with phosphates and a different kind of water could help, Just my .02, hope this helps.

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Doing a blackout for greenwater will help. In addition to the blackout make sure you have added nutrients too. Cover up the tank for at least 3 full days. Don't do any peeking.

Your shrimp will also add to the clean up during the blackout. Plants will not suffer, just will slow growth rate.

After a full 3 day black out you will remove the cover and see your aquascape in a brand new way!!! Very clear!!!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
When you say blackout do you cover the sides also??

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Yup, dont let any light get to the water AT ALL.

First, if you're fairly knew to the hobby, im make sure what you have is really green water to stop wasting a few days when you could be curing what the problem really is.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

THanks for all the replys guys. I am not sure if what I have is greenwater, but it whatever it is . . . it is getting to be a real pain. I have changed %50 of the water everyday for the past 3 days and turned the lights off with no change. There is alot of ambient light so turning the lights off does not make that big of a difference. The water is cloudy and only slightly green, not pea green like some others have described. Everything has been fine up to this point and I don't dose any nutrients. The only thing that has changed is the fact that I added a layer of sand. Maybe the playground sand that I added was high in phosphates?

Anyway . . . I am going to go ahead with the blackout and see how everything goes. Thanks again!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:15 PM

Playground sand releases lots of brown particles that cloud the water i hear. Even if you wash it then it'll still appear. Thats your problem.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The sand shouldnt be the problem. I have playground sand in all 3 of my tanks and it will be cloudy only for a couple hours not days. Plus it wouldnt make the water green.

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:02 AM

Greenwater advice

I do have green water in one of my tanks. Does this cause any health problems with fish or snails? My tank is near a window, so I assume that is why my water is so green. Thanks Debo
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_bug
THanks for all the replys guys. I am not sure if what I have is greenwater, but it whatever it is . . . it is getting to be a real pain. I have changed %50 of the water everyday for the past 3 days and turned the lights off with no change. There is alot of ambient light so turning the lights off does not make that big of a difference. The water is cloudy and only slightly green, not pea green like some others have described. Everything has been fine up to this point and I don't dose any nutrients. The only thing that has changed is the fact that I added a layer of sand. Maybe the playground sand that I added was high in phosphates?

Anyway . . . I am going to go ahead with the blackout and see how everything goes. Thanks again!
Changing lots of water will most likely do nothing in improving algae problems. The reason algae occurs is that there is most likely an imbalance in nutrients, or lack of nutrients.

Plants need nutrients to really do good. And the lack of will cause them to not grow properly leaving conditions just right for algae to thrive on the little amount of nutreint in the water.

You need to add nutreints in order for the plants to grow and consume the nutrients leaving nothing for the algae to thrive on. Seems strange to add nutrients so plant can consume and leave nothing for algae to survive on but this is what happens.

At times I measure the need of nutrients adjustment when I see tell-tale signs of algae starting to grow on the glass of the tank. An indicator for the start of an imbalance.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Aquaphish - what nutrients adjustment do you recommend for a 1 gal tank? I am not currently supply anything but plenty of light and 3-5 drops of excel per day. What and how much should I dose?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_bug
Aquaphish - what nutrients adjustment do you recommend for a 1 gal tank? I am not currently supply anything but plenty of light and 3-5 drops of excel per day. What and how much should I dose?
A one gal tank!!! I have no experience with such a small tank, but I did post this about what I dose in my 8 gal and 40 gal tanks.

I suggest you mix as indicated and follow the dosing amount prescribed using the calulator I use.

Read the following post I did on a similar subject.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/236097-post10.html

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Are there any complete dry fertilizers or liquid fertilizers that you would recommend. I hate to buy $35 worth of dry fertilizer to get the right combo for a 1 gal tank. Any suggestions from fellow nano'ers?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

So I just got home from the bar where (I hate to admit) I have been drinking beer and eating crayfish. It has been 2 1/2 days since I started the blackout and I did exactly as instructed . . . covered with a towel and did not peak.

To my dismay . . . my fishbowl was full of dead red shrimp . . . that looked much like my dinner . . . yikes!

I don't know what happened. The water is clear, the plants are fine and what were my perfectly healthy shrimp are dead. Every last one is dead. I just got done cleaning up the mess and I might just pout for a while.

I hope everyone else is having a better evening than I am . . .
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
This is just a wild guess as I've both a diatom filter and UVS to deal with green water when/if it crops up, but I would think that the massive death of the unicellular algae due to the blackout might cause an ammonia spike? Have you tested for ammonia? "Everyone knows" , that shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters. I really wouldn't think that just the lack of light for a couple of days would harm them, they're not like a plant that needs photosynthesis to survive for an extended period of time! Again, just a guess and a thought.

SlŠinte!
Cindy

-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode