My First Tank; Eclipse 3 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Tank; Eclipse 3 Gallon

Hello, this is my first attempt at a planted tank. It is an eclipse 3 that has been running for almost a month now. I have been trying to figure out what other things to add to it because I would like to get some more variety growing in there, any suggestions.

I also have a six gallon that should be clear enough show soon.

Last edited by AlaskaRiver; 02-20-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Just another View

Just a view from the side of the tank looking towards the driwftwood.
[IMG][/IMG]
The tank contains; 4 small guppies, 1 otto, 3 cherry shrimp, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 mystery snail and some snails that came along for the ride. Also I switched out the light to a 13w with a retro fit kit from AH. What other plants would look good in here?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Algae Grower

The only problem I see is the otto, he may be a little strapped for swimming room.
As for plants:

Watersprite (you almost can't kill it and it looks cool)
Pennywort (same story)
Small Vals
Crypts that have small foliage

Whatever you want really, you have WAY adequate light, if you feel the need for CO2, go with a small DIY and you could REALLY do anything you want that's small enough.

-Brendan

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 PM

Very nice. One of my favorite plants is pennywort (Hydrocotyle leukocephala) but it would be a bit too large for this tank. I really think that Hemianthus micranthemoides or Hemianthus callitrichoides would look very nice. Crypt lucens would look nice and grows easily for me. A small grouping of petite nana would be very good too.

A row of corkscrew val along the back wall might be good too.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. I was considering moving the otto to the six gallon tank that I have almost finished up. As for the plants, thanks for the suggestions. The fish store around here doesn't have a large selection, but hopefully I will be able to get into San Fran and check out some of the stores. In addition i have recently starting using both flourish and excel on the tank, it seems to be a difference, especially on the java moss.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 05:45 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Very Nice tank!
IMO that Anubias is bothering me, maybe its too big, replace with Anubias Barteri 'petite' and it would look really nice. I would add some Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form', Bacopa Australis, and blyxa for the tank. If you can't find those plants for sale at your lfs, check out the for sale forum.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Nice looking tank. I agree with Oceanaqua, the Anubias can be upgrade to your six gallon.

Have any pictures of your retrofit inside and ballast mount? Any problems with splashing, condensation and heat?

Keep it Poppin!

the KK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. Here are some pictures of the retrofit. I didn't really know what to expect when I ordered it but it was actually very easy, even with my limited skill at such things. The hardest part was lining up the reflector so it would fit under the hood. Heat is not too much of a problem, i just keep the lid on the tank open when the light is on. The light made a huge difference and made the tank look better in general. It also arrived very fast from AH supply and I would recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade lighting in an eclipse.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I also made use of the old light by stripping away the old plastic the light was mounted of and rigged it up under my 6 gallon eclipse.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:25 AM
Ken

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good. I've been thinking about one of the AH 13W kits for myself. It's good to hear how easy they are to install.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

yeah the part that took the longest was figuring out that you twist the wire nuts to connect the wires. The only tool you need is a cordless drill and maybe some wire cutters (but they really aren't necessary, a knife works just fine).
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Here is an update on the tank. I moved the anubias to the arc in the driftwood, took out alot of the java moss. Additionally I got some glosso for free that I figured I would try out, along with a tiny peice of pennywort? and some micro Sword? in the corner in front of the cabomba. I want to take out the cabomba when some of the other stuff grows. Also will 13 watts be enough to grow everything that is in this tank? thanks.
Couldn't pick the best one sorry.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:24 AM

Your tank is looking really nice so far. To give it a sense that it's even bigger than it is, it would be exciting to try some of the smaller leaved plants like Hemianthus micranthemoides, Hemianthus callitrichoides, Ludiwigia arcuata, rotala wallichi. They'd grow fine under your 13 W light, with Flourish Excel supplementation.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
really nice lookin tank! i really like tha anubis in front of the drift wood..

-=- fish newb -=-
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Did some more changes to the tank today. I got rid of the cabomba, kind of got bored of it and put in some Lobelia Cardinalis in the back. I also added a new plant behind the driftwood that I cannot identify, I think it is a kind of crypt but I am not sure can anyone help me out. Thanks. I can get a better picture if it if needed.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
We need a better picture of the crypt, I have some C. walkeri that looks similar.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode