James' 10 Gallon Planted Tank Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
James' 10 Gallon Planted Tank Journal

Hey there and welcome to my first ever thread

My name is James but you can call me LB101 or just Livebearer - not bothered on the name front. I am nearly 17 years of age and have been interested in this fascinating and endless hobby now for about 5 years. I have had several tanks most noticeable my trusty 20 gallon planted community which iv had from day 1, my 10 gallon tank that im currently re-doing and will be featured in this thread, and finally a vivarium which i am about to start on as my main project. It's nice to meet you all and i love this forum

But anyway, what we're all here for. I made this thread because im currently re-doing my 10 gallon tank and wanted to feature a little journal about it here. So without futher ado...

The 10 Gallon Tank Project

The Basics: Ok this project was started by me for something in the kitchen for my mum to look at whilst spending all her time cooking and looking after her lovely children

I wanted it to be very lucious and tranquile but also remind us of our favourite holiday destination - Lanzarote. For those of you who dont know, Lanzarote is on the Canary Isles off the coast of Africa but is actually a part of Spain. 200 years ago it had mega erruptions and so there is beautiful lava rock absolutely everywhere. Its very unique and great to go to - infact im going there next week . Anyhow you might see the hints of Lanzarote in the tank as i post some pics. So yeh, i wanted the tank to be well planted with a few landmark pieces and iv left it for you guys to decide the fauna, so here goes...

NOTE = I am really sorry for the poor camera quality, until someone points out a good one i can afford, its all i can do, sorry for any problems caused!

7th Febuary 2006 - Fresh Start

Ok here's my first entry, im going to start it off with a few shots i took when the tank was pretty much empty. All it has is one Ludwigia Repens in..

I know it doesnt show much as i wa actually taking a shot of the plant but it gives you an idea of the empty tank. Sorry again for the bad picture quality..

Next...

So this is what it looks like today. Thats the best picture i've ever taken lol...
As you can see, im cycling it with two x-ray tetra from my other tank. They're very hardy dudes and i think they may be a breeding pair so i get a two in one deal - a cycled tank and some eggs.. So what i did was, put the right corner rock in and poor the gravel all in that corner, it then spread out as i put the water in. I stuck the other rock on the left and put the spare Repens at the back.

a really....bad... close up shot there. You get the idea, iv basically decorated it out and the water is currently good with no ammonia and a balanced PH. Temp is around 77.

Tomorrow i get brine shrimp.. yey.. which i can feed the mating pair who are cycling the tank and also the fish in my other tank. Im also getting 25 live plants so it should really take off. Get ready for tomorrows pics!

Peace out..

Il leave you with the image of the 'Tetra Killa' ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

i may have forgot to mention that any feedback is welcome.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Planted Member

Hey nice to know i am not the only 17 year old into fish there are quite a lot on this forum! You might get more responses on the photo album forum It looks good but needs more plants! And some fish. The rocks do remind me of those you see everywhere on Lanzarote and the other cannery islands

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

please comment on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
photo album

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Hey, dont worry my 25 live plants are coming tomorrow so.. boo ya.. lol

Im taking any suggestions for fish as of now.

Also, can a moderater please move this to the photo album forums, thanks.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:43 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
That will be a very full tank with 25 live plants and the rock. I would suggest neon tetras since they are small or an other small fish.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

As i said in my main post, im not putting all 25 in, im just putting in a selection.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
i may have forgot to mention that any feedback is welcome.
I think those lava rocks in your photo are just too big, it really makes your 10G look so small...I get where your inspiration is coming from, do you have any smaller lava rocks to put in there?
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Planted Member

lol bhare i thaught they look good that size but maybe they would look better with a few plants on like anubias. A moss wall would look good in there aswell im going to be starting one soon

please comment on my
photo album
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:35 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
He could take the Left one out and use the right one and work from there. Some small foreground plants would look nice. And smaller fish would definitley make it look much better.

The fish might want to get some snowboards and ride that slope though. It almost looks like Mount Everest.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

How about i comprimise. I could hammer the large rock up into lots of pieces and use them to make a mound that would overall look alot smaller and probably have more caves and tunnels. Sound good?
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

well before you decided here's one last look before the plants get delivered - i rearranged it abit and took the tetra out so it's a bit cloudy still. Sorry about the lightning, kitchen is very bright.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like it. I mean I REALLY like it. That hardscaping is very well done, IMHO. I can't wait to see it planted!
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks, i thought the plants were going to come in the mail today but to no avail i guess they'll come tomorrow as they were due 'mid-week'.

Thanks for the compliments. Im really not sure now whether to keep it as it is or break the rocks up and stack some of them up.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

well mate if you dont like the look then change it but if you want to listen to my opinion and vandyll we love it how it is

what plants are you getting in the post? where did you order them from? Im interested in buying plants online!

please comment on my
photo album
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

i know Laura from www.tropical-aquarium-plants.co.uk

I got a deal of 25 plants for 3 which is awesome. There is a set mix on the site but i got a custom deal on ebay with lots of different plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode