Which nano for office? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Which nano for office?
Ecoxotic EcoPico 4 12.50%
Fluval Spec 5.6 15 46.88%
Fluval Flora aquatic plant kit 2 6.25%
Fluval Edge 6 1 3.13%
Aqueon Evolve 4 5 15.63%
Something Else? Please Explain. 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which nano for office?

Hey everyone... So while building my 40B, I'm considering getting a nano tank to go on my desk at work. This has to be an all in one setup, lights, filters, heater, tank, all together. Of course I can have more than one cord, but basically here are my options.

Fluval Spec 5.6
Fluval Edge 6
Aqueon Evolve 4 (maybe 8)
Fluval Chi

Seems those 4 are about the only all in one tanks that have filters in them.

What would people suggest? It has to be pretty close to silent if possible. Thanks!

-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I really like the Fluval Edge but you probably need to modify the hood if you're thinking about keeping plants.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What mods would it need to work for a planted tank?

Thanks

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

You would need additional lighting for sure. The Edge has a light located in the center. Most people find that it doesn't cover the edges (pun intended) of the footprint of the tank. Popular lighting upgrades are Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips. Which btw, you may want to check out the Ecoxotic EcoPico Aquairums.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have an evolve 8 in my office (see sig) and it is quiet and able to grow plants with the led light. Looks good too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'd get the Spec V

Cool dimensions, quiet, and a decent price for a nano.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

I vote spec V aswell

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hit up frank for a total mini m package, expensive, but awesome!

ADA Gentleman #1

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Planted Member

I have the Evolve4 here at home, and after stuffing some poly quilt batting between the little filter and the back wall, it's nice and quiet.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlyons21 View Post
You would need additional lighting for sure. The Edge has a light located in the center. Most people find that it doesn't cover the edges (pun intended) of the footprint of the tank. Popular lighting upgrades are Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips. Which btw, you may want to check out the Ecoxotic EcoPico Aquairums.
Ahh ok thanks for the info. Definitely want it planted, but also want as little modification as possible. I'm trying to go simple, hassle free on this one. As for the ecoxotic ecopico... I'm having a hard time finding anything about the filter it comes with. Do you know anything about that? What kind of filtration? replacement media? etc... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
I have an evolve 8 in my office (see sig) and it is quiet and able to grow plants with the led light. Looks good too
That is a nice looking tank, definitely would go well on my desk. I'd likely go for the smaller version so my boss doesn't take issue with it. How is it on noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
I'd get the Spec V

Cool dimensions, quiet, and a decent price for a nano.
Those were the main things that attracted me to the tank as well, and from what I understand it's pretty quiet too. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDzeke View Post
Hit up frank for a total mini m package, expensive, but awesome!.
Who is frank? lol. Maybe I should know this... but I'm not sure who you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
I have the Evolve4 here at home, and after stuffing some poly quilt batting between the little filter and the back wall, it's nice and quiet..
Thanks for the input! Definitely worth consideration.

As always, thanks to everyone for contributing
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I added a poll to this. Seems fitting to have a poll when I'm asking people advice on which product to go for lol.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd take the Chi off the list. It's lighting filter combo is imho garbage. I have the tank, but running a finnex clamp on light and an AC 20. I just set up a spec v for my girlfriend and honestly had a hard time letting it go. The light is suitable for low light plants, which would be good for a low maintenance desk tank.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post
Who is frank? lol. Maybe I should know this... but I'm not sure who you're talking about.
I think this is the mini-M package. Frank is in charge of sales at ADG, and is also a TPT member.

7g nano, a work in progress

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Algae Grower

I voted for the Spec V. I've had a Spec II for a few months on my desk at work and am really enjoying it. I previously had an old 1 gallon bookend tank so the difference is night and day. Mine was an older one without a light so I had added my own plus had a desk light on a timer.

I was looking at the Evolve 2 as well but chose the Spec because I wanted glass over acrylic.

I too wanted an all in one because I wanted a clean look to avoid any concerns from co-workers from multiple wires, noise, or the possibility of splashing water from a HOB. A plus for me was that I could remove the desk lamp as well. The tank receives additional light from fluorescent lighting built into the desks (advantage of a clear lid). I would assume the Spec V is similar to the II in that there is plenty of room to add a small heater and that the pump is very quiet.

I would take into account the tank dimensions you like as well. I really like the Spec V and would've got a Spec II in that design if it was offered.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
i voted for the aqueon. I have the 8 at home on my desk. i moved the pump under the filter bank (it is a seperate compartment under it) and fit 500G worth of ceramic media between the pump and the gravity return. it is very quiet now, and the light is actually brighter than i expected.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode