Glass cover and daily waste removal for 10 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass cover and daily waste removal for 10 gal

Hi, everyone!
Some basics of the basics:
1. How to remove uneaten food right after 2-5 min feeding, without disturbing fish too much, or plants dead leaves and animal waste?

2. I have ready-made black plastic canopy with glass strip 4"/10cm wide for light to pass through, would like to make more space for light passage, like glass cover.
Tried to cut two pieces of glass (one removable for feeding/cleaning, second - the main part for lights), but my version of reflector - stainless steel mud pan with 2x23W CFL, 4100K, no venting holes, standing on four wire legs - was too hot, and glass cracked. Temporarily I'm using the same old canopy with low-heat handheld working lights, fluorescent U-tubes, 2x13W, 6500K. It's theoretically possible to hang the lights above aquarium, so the heat will not be an issue, but I can't imagine non-intrusive (drawing attention to itself) design, other than damaging ceilings - there are no walls nearby.
Tried web search - didn't found anything yet. Any ideas?

3. Filter intake need to be cleaned once in two days at most - this is newly set aquarium, two weeks only. Intake is covered by nylon knee-stockings for preventing crude particles entering the filter. Same question - how to do that without disturbing fish? Or remove waste more efficiently, so less debries will go on the filter.

4. I'm using Wisper 5-15 gal power filter, hanging on the side. Very strong current, too strong if hanging on the back of the tank. Do you have the same problem, how to deal with it?

5. Most voluminous plants in my tank are hornworts. Tried to bury their ends in the substrate. Bottom leaves turn brown and fall off after few days, new growth floats on the top and block the light for the other plants. Is there better way to handle this?

6. How to feed the small hatchets? Tried different kinds of floating food, no use. Couldn't find small live food in Toronto. Now have to feed them individually - frozen blood worms, unfrozen and prewashed in the glass of aquarium water, holded by tweezers before their noses.
Thanks.
-----
My setup:
- 10 gal glass aquarium kit with black plastic canopy for 2x15W lights originally,
- vermiculite/soil/hydrostone substrate with 5-8mm size gravel layer over it,
- Heater; Wisper filter, CO2 from 750 ml bottle is injected into filter's intake tube, pH is stabile 7.5 with or without CO2 injection. Seachem Stability added on regular basis as bacterial support for this new aquarium,
- fish: 5 small hatchets, marbled and black-winged (I guess), they don't jump yet, 5 white clouds (biggest harasses all others, very territorial, supposed to be a team player), 4 ghost shrimps, 1 dwarf African frog
- plants: mostly hornwort, vallisneria - spiral and jungle, Amazon swords, one Java fern, banana plant, aponogeton bulbs started to grow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 03:00 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
no help, but would love to see a picture of your tank and one of your diy light (the mudpan one)

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:13 PM

I cant answer everything, but...
1) either buy a feeding ring which keeps all the food in one place or use a fish net to scoop out the remaining food...I have plenty of bottom feeders so I don't mind if food falls to the bottom...try to feed only what they can eat..just experiment to find the proper amount to feed your fish so there is none leftover.
2) did you try to get a glass canopy? they have them here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113765
3) I sometimes use filter floss pads and rubberband them to my HOB filter intake...but you'll still have to clean them occasionally..its a fact of life with a planted tank
4) again rubberband a filter pad around the outtake to reduce flow/surface agitation..not sure about your filter but experiment and see what happens
5) what type of substrate do you have? remove bottom leaves from stems before planting.
6) not sure...

Hope this helps...and some pictures would be great! good luck....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10galHatchets
Hi, everyone!
Some basics of the basics:
1. How to remove uneaten food right after 2-5 min feeding, without disturbing fish too much, or plants dead leaves and animal waste?
Use a net for leaves and uneaten food. Or just feed very sparely, and add just a little when the first food injection gets consumed. Leaves can be roomed using the net and long tweezers.

Quote:
2. It's theoretically possible to hang the lights above aquarium, so the heat will not be an issue, but I can't imagine non-intrusive (drawing attention to itself) design, other than damaging ceilings - there are no walls nearby.
Tried web search - didn't found anything yet. Any ideas?
Build yourself a box canopy with a lid. And hang the lights from the lid...Or mount them inside the hood with your reflector.

Quote:
3. Filter intake need to be cleaned once in two days at most - this is newly set aquarium, two weeks only. Intake is covered by nylon knee-stockings for preventing crude particles entering the filter. Same question - how to do that without disturbing fish? Or remove waste more efficiently, so less debries will go on the filter.
I would want my filter to take out this debris, so I would not want to use the stockings. You can purchase a media mesh bag, with bigger holes, so that the bigger particles can go through. I think you would only want to cover the filter with something if you have small livestock that may get sucked up. You can also purchase a sponge filter to cover the intake. drsfostersmith.com has some, and ebay.

Quote:
4. I'm using Wisper 5-15 gal power filter, hanging on the side. Very strong current, too strong if hanging on the back of the tank. Do you have the same problem, how to deal with it?
Fill the tank with lots of water to cover the outlet, should reduce the force of the flow.
Quote:
5. Most voluminous plants in my tank are hornworts. Tried to bury their ends in the substrate. Bottom leaves turn brown and fall off after few days, new growth floats on the top and block the light for the other plants. Is there better way to handle this?
Hortwort is designed to float, so the browning sounds normal. Usually it dies because the bottom stem rots in the gravel. You can tie the ends to rocks or driftwood, or plant weights will help keep it down.

Quote:
6. How to feed the small hatchets? Tried different kinds of floating food, no use. Couldn't find small live food in Toronto. Now have to feed them individually - frozen blood worms, unfrozen and prewashed in the glass of aquarium water, holded by tweezers before their noses.
Not sure, but they do have those live worm feeder contraptions that you could put some frozen bloodworms in, and it won't create a mess all over your tank.

Best of Luck!

the KIDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

My tank pictures at Webshots

Thanks for the replies!
Couldn't find how to post photos, so placed them at Webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/album/546783702gnKvxT
Hopefully, you can see them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:29 AM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks nice, good work so far.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
2. I have ready-made black plastic canopy with glass strip 4"/10cm wide for light to pass through, would like to make more space for light passage, like glass cover.
Other than the canopy suggestions already mentioned, you could put your lights on legs that support it a bit over the glass. Some commercial light product do this. It won't take much of a gap to keep your glass cool.

Quote:
3. Filter intake need to be cleaned once in two days at most - this is newly set aquarium, two weeks only. Intake is covered by nylon knee-stockings for preventing crude particles entering the filter.
I agree you should remove that. There's no harm in crude particles entering the filter, and the inside of the filter has a lot more surface area than the filter intake.

Quote:
I bury at least an inch of the stem *with leaves attached*. You'd think this would induce rotting, but in my tanks it has done exactly the opposite. My hornworts stay where I put them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Stocking is removed from intake, hornwort is rubberbanded to the stone, still looking locally for the glass cover, will see what can be done with lights. Hatchets are ignoring worm feeder, contunue to feed them individually.
Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode