Maintaining a 1 galloon fish bowl? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Maintaining a 1 galloon fish bowl?

I have a nice planted tank at home, so I wanted to have a fish at work --

So I've just added a 1 gallon fish bowl with a male betta in my work office. I also put in a small rock, some new gravel, and a (gulp) plastic plant.

I was curious how the cycle works in a bowl... how does the ammonia stay down, if at all. I "seeded" the bowl by filling it with a gallon of water from my established fish tank. I suspect I need to feed lightly, change at least 50% of the water weekly (?) and stir up the gravel occasionally when I water change (?)

My office is very dark, with only a few lamps. I was afraid of adding any live plants in fear they would just rot, unless anyone knows of any that live by the dimmest light. I don't want to add lights or upgrade to a 1 gallon filtered system.

Lastly, would the addition of a couple ghost shrimp work out to clear any uneaten food... or would the betta eat them?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:33 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've always thought that some betta vases look very pretty.

First off, I'd suggest that instead of seeding with water from your other tank that you seed with gravel from the established tank. The nitrifying bacteria grow on surfaces, and very (if any) will be found floating in the water. Then I think that you should be set with the rest of the said set-up. Bettas don't produce much waste.

I know that you mentioned that you didn't want to add a light, but if you'd like plants, I'd suggest just getting a cheap desk lamp, and a screw-in PC bulb with an appropriate spectrum for plant growth. Then you could probably grow something like elodea or java moss easily.

As for ghost shrimp, it really all depends on the betta. I bought 4 ghost shrimp for a 3g betta tank, and they were all at least half-eaten 12hrs later. This was a particularly vicious betta, though (he tried to jump out of the water and attack me when I fed him )

One last thing: How warm does is your office? Bettas dont tend to do well below about 74. I'd just be worried about it being in a small bowl without a heater.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks

Yes, maybe I'll grab a handful of my tank's gravel and add it to the current gravel.

Bowl temperature should be fine since the room is consistently warm thanks to the many computer workstations crammed into this room and turned on 24-7.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode