My 1g fishbowl journal . . . (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
My 1g fishbowl journal . . . (56k warning)

Alright, here goes nothing. After having my 30gal in storage for ever due to my rather nomadic lifestyle, I realized that I can not do without a fish tank. Since we are renting, I have 1gal fishbowl that I am going to plant and eventually have some shrimp in. I have my bowl set up and now I am picking out plants.

Here are my tank stats:
1.2g bowl (1g with substrate)
13w CF screw lightbulb
no heater or filter
temp ranges from 65 (night) - 75 (daytime)

Once I get it planted, I am going to do 20% water changes 2x week and dose with excel. Other than that, I am just trying to keep it simple.

I am thinking about Anubias nana tied to my driftwood with a carpet of Marsilea minuta around the edges. I am going to take a picture when I go home for lunch so I will post it this afternoon so you can get an idea of shape. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the fishbowl project in question. It is about 8 inches tall and there is a distance of 8 inches from the substrate to the bulb. This bowl also gets a lot of ambient light because it is located in my sunroom. It is mostly indirect light, but light, none the less. I apologize for the quality of the pics. It is hard to get good pictures in the middle of the day with all the sunlight coming in.

I am not sure if you can tell in this close up picture, but I have tried to plant some HC. I got some cuttings in the mail. The cuttings didn't transport well and were basically stinky mush by the time I got them. I tried to plant them anyway, but I don't think that they will make it.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
looks cool. the pics are fine! better than some ive seen actually....

keep em coming.

-=- fish newb -=-

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 05:30 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
A very unique shaped bowl. Looks great.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Very interesting!!! Pictures are fine. Just keep posting your progress!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:03 PM

If that was my tank, I would actually just consider keeping it plants only. That'll save on the water changes and I think you'll have serious problems with gas exchange with a surface area that small.

Looks great though!

Thanks,
Chris
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Okay - I ordered plants and 3 cherry shrimp from Florida Driftwood. I wasn't intending to get shrimp so soon, but while I was paying shipping on the plants, I decided to go ahead and get the shrimp. I had intended to order Anubias nana petite and Marsilea minuta. As you can see from the picture, I accidently ordered anubias nana instead of the petite. I got them in on Friday and they were enormous. I went ahead and decided to plant the bowl for the shrimp's sake and I have two petite plants on the way. When they come in, I am going to transfer the regular anubias to my sister's fish tank.

I unpacked the shrimp and they actually sent 5 instead of 3 AND 2 of the 5 are pregnant. I am not complaining at all, but I will soon have more shrimp than I can stand.
The Marsilea minuta was bigger that I thought. I know that Florida Driftwood grows thiers emersed and it will be smaller as it grows in submeresed but good grief . . . it is 4-5" tall.

The shrimp are doing very well. Maybe cause I have a round container, but they did nothing but swim in circles around the perimeter of the bowl for the first 6 hours. One of the two pregnant shrimp have already had her babies and now they are all over the place. I am trying to get better at taking close up pictures so I can post some of the shrimp. Any suggestions? I have a cannon sureshot A85 and I have no idea how to do the manual focus or anything.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Planted Member

Cute little bowl! Can't wait to see the progress!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Here is my update . . .
I got the petite nana in and attached it to the driftwood. Now that the m.minuta is sprouting new and much smaller growth, I went in and trimmed away all the large leaves. I also added a small stump piece of driftwood in the back with a little bit of moss on it. Shrimp are doing well. I am still trying to take some better pictures with no luck. The curved shape of the bowl is giving issues.
Comments are welcome!!!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
How will you harvest excess shrimp when they get over crowded?

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:59 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
looking good. Are you trying to keep the lay out so it looks good from every angle? That seams like it would be hard. What exact light are you using for that? I kind liked the bigger anudias in it but with only one. How is the maintenance on it going on it in relation on how easy it is?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments
daFrimpster - as for removing the shrimp . . . I am going to use a turkey baster to get the babies out when they get a little bigger.

h20 plant - I am trying to keep it looking good from about 3 sides. I liked the larger anubias too, but I felt like they threw off the scale of my tank and if they grew any . . . it would be too much. I am looking forward to the minuta filling in a bit. The plants seem really happy, even pearling in the afternoon. The light I am using is a simple desk lamp that I got from target for about $10 with a 13w cf screw in bulb. I have it on a timer so it comes on for about 10hours a day.

Maintenence has been a breeze. At first, I didn't even feed the shrimp because they didn't seem to care much for the crab bite I would put in about once every other day. I think they were just shy, because now they devour them. I change about 2cups of water every couple of days (when I remember) and dose about 3-4 drops of excel everyday (if I remember).
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
That great! Yea i think i would rather have a tank like yours than a regular square tank. I like the small top look which makes it look like a ship in a bottle and it gives it a little art appeal. It also reminds me of those planted bottles people use to do around the 70s. How much was that glass, if you don't mind me asking, all the ones I have seen were around 35$ which seems pricey. I am trying to price it all out to see if I really want to get it or not. How are those clover plants doing since they sound like a good plant for my medium-low light tank.
Thanks allot
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
There is only one thing I need to comment on. The look is just AWSOME!!! Waiting to see more pictures when the plants have more growth.

Do you use any fertilizers? and how often do you change water and how much?

As far as getting the baby shrimp out my suggestion is you get one of those kitchen basters and cut the tip to enlarge the hole a bit. Then you can suck out the little shrimp with the baster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 04:37 AM

That tank looks really good, the smaller anubias look great and I like how they look on the wood. Looking foward to seeing what it looks like after it grows in some more. I am just now starting a tank that I think is exactly the same, just finished the hardscape and started a thread. Where did you get your bowl at?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode