8gal by Aquaphish!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
8gal by Aquaphish!!!

I have posted in the photo album some pictures of my new 8 gal but I think I will start and continue my journal for this tank here. It seems all tanks in the photo album are way larger than what I have. (BTW I do have a 40 in there somewhere!!)

I got this tank just over a week ago when the drive home from work was more stressful than a day at work!!! Stopped at the LFS and found this.

At first I had it scaped with white foreground rocks and background substrate was Eco-Complete. But decided to go with a petrified wood hardscape.

There are some pictures of both.

As you can see the light system has too much blue. I did retrofit the canopy with a ahsupply 2X13 Deluxe Will post some pics of the retrofit soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by aquaphish; 10-15-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)
Nice looking set up
I seem to remember seeing one of this some time ago at a LFS near where I live. It wasn't cheap. The price, stand included was over $250.
If I had the money I would have bough it though. It sucks being poor
Anyway, good luck with your project
Rafo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We made it !!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

They are not expensive. Just about the same price as the Eclipse models. But this one did not have any filter like the Eclipse.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here are some pictures of the retrofit of the light canopy.

The first picture shows the original light system that came with the set up. I really did not like it because there was just too much blue in it. I tried to find a different light for the same set up but did not find one. I decided to retrofit it with a ahsupply 2X13 deluxe system. I know I could get this type of light when I need to.

On the side of the canopy there were four screws holding the sides to the main canopy. I removed both sides and slid the reflector and electrical system out.

I wanted to use the same off/on switch so I cut the wires that lead from the ballest and light sockets. That is shown in the third picture.

Displayed in the forth picture are all the components that came with the ahsupply system. The problem is that the MIRRO reflector did not fit quite right. It was too long and too narrow to fit into the canopy. OK I might have disfigured the optimum efforts of the reflector, I bent it so it will fit into the slots made for the original reflector. then I took some old scissors and cut the reflector down the the proper length.

Last edited by aquaphish; 10-21-2006 at 07:44 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

After cutting and trimming and fitting the MIRRO reflector I removed it and added the two ballests into the top of the canopy. Then replaced the reflector for fit of the ballests in such tight quarters. It worked out very well, tight but well.

Once the reflector and ballests were fitted and ok I needed to drill some holes into the reflector to mount the light sockets on either side. After measuring and aligning I drilled two holes into the reflector to mount the sockets.

Once the screw holes were done I placed the sockets in place but not very tight. Then I inserted the light bulbs into the sockets and aligned the bulbs so the would be as straigh as I can get them, then tightened the screws.

The next and last thing to do was to connect all the electrical wiring. I followed the instructions that came with the new system. Replaced the end caps of the canopy and hoped for the best. Pluged it in and nothing!!! That is what happens when you do a job late at night. You realize you need to flip the switch!!! Everything worked well!!! The lights are bright and no more blue tank!!!

At first I was really conserned about the heat generated by the ballests in a small compartment. But the heat is not anything more than the original ballest produced. But I still want to find some small vents that I can add to the top of the canopy to help remove the heat. There are some louvered vents on the sides that help, but I really will feel safer if I had more ventilation.

The last two pictures will show the difference in the lighting systems. Even though the original was a 36watt fixture and the new is only 26watts I really like the apppearance of the new system. And I will still have approx 3.25WPG.

Last edited by aquaphish; 10-21-2006 at 07:44 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
nice journal you got goin here. its always fun to watch these!

-=- fish newb -=-
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The tank is looking great. Do know yet on what yo want to stock the tank with as far fish goes?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectblue
The tank is looking great. Do know yet on what yo want to stock the tank with as far fish goes?
That is the million$$ ? !!!

Was thinking of the usuals Cardinals or some other tetra. But I have those in my 40 gal. Maybe I'll just do this very cheap. Have you ever got some feeder guppies and see all the colors that are produced??? Then you get the nicer ones and keep them. Then add some even more colorful guppies and see what comes up!!!

I really don't know what to put in yet.. I got this just because I was in traffic and stopped off at the LFS saw it and bought it.

All I know is the fish need to be small even when full grown. Any suggestions other than the norm???

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why not try some endlers. A few people on the forum have them at reasonable prices. I got a few from someone on here and just love them.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:30 AM

Thank looks great! Can you stick the heater inside the HOB filter?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSaint
Why not try some endlers. A few people on the forum have them at reasonable prices. I got a few from someone on here and just love them.
That was one option I was thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK
Thank looks great! Can you stick the heater inside the HOB filter?
Wish I could but once I get the plants going I might find a plant to hide it behind. If I decide to make a custom HOB I will incorporate the heater into the filter.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphish
All I know is the fish need to be small even when full grown. Any suggestions other than the norm???
Hmmm. Maybe Dwarf Puffers, Pencilfish, pair of Apistos, Pygmy Cories, Pygmy Gouramis, Kuhli Loaches, Killifish, Badis, or a Shrimp tank.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:18 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I'd suggest dwarf puffers or shrimp. but not both I'm keeping both right now in seperate tanks and they are each a joy to keep. If you want DP's, though, get ready to provide some live foods!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Algae Grower

Awesome setup and retrofit. Lighting looks great. Great pics!

Do you know the brand of that tank and hood? Looks just about perfect to me. Is it glass or acrylic?

Perfectblue has excellent fish suggestions; you could also consider some of the tiny rasboras like rasbora maculatus or dorsiocellata or brigittae, although I've never kept any of them and don't know much about them.

My personal favorites are shrimp and endlers. Photos of endlers just don't do them justice - they're incredible in person in my opinion.

Great looking tank, looking forward to the updates.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Looking good Aquaphish. Is that an 8 gallon Finnex by any chance?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode