Desktop Aquarium Selection (plus a line on a good sale) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Desktop Aquarium Selection (plus a line on a good sale)

Hi Everybody-

My girlfriend is going to take pity on me and buy me a desktop aquarium for work since I can't bring my Nanocube to the office with me. I'm having trouble choosing which one, though, and figured I'd ask my favorite online community for their opinion. The options are:

1) Eclipse 3 gallon- pretty standard

2) Azoo Magic Box- 2.5 gallon, Azoo Galaxy light (13W), Mignon Filter- looks like this is the older brother of the Palm filter. You can find this on Drs Foster and Smith (at a pretty good discount):

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

3) Minibow 2.5- don't really like the in-tank filter, though

4) Build my own with a 2.5 AGA, HOB filter and PC light on top

5) Jebo Odyssea Mini-reef 10 gallon- this one is a lot bigger and pretty cheap, so I'm a little leary.

I'm going to keep a few white clouds, a couple dwarf crayfish (I'll post a thread on these guys soon) and plenty of plants.

Let me know what y'all think. Thanks for the help.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin
I'd start by not choosing the Azoo... just because of the hideous colors.

The rest I dont know of Here in Denmark, we dont have minitanks really..

Apart from Tropica's AquaCube... <-- how about getting that? A HOB, flourite etc... you're set.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:40 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
The 2.5 AGA will give you a lot more flexibility to switch lights, CO2, etc. The eclipse, you'd have to retrofit the 8 watt fixture.

I have both, and the 2.5 has much better proportions to scape with.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks

Symbiot- That's a pretty good point. I have to admit, the candy colors actually a bit of an appeal. I've been trying to find the Aquacube in the state's for about 2 years now and still no luck- very agrevating. I don't suppose you have a line on a US supplier, do you? I'd love to get one.

By the way, I spent some time in Denmark a few years back. Great place, great people.

Sarahbobarah-

I agree, the eclipse would be pretty limiting. The only issue I have with the AGA is the seams. I know it's silly, but I'm a huge fan of seamless tanks. They're pretty hard to find here in the states (for a reasonable price), but seem to be pretty common in other countries.

Thanks for the thoughts you guys. Happy growing.

Mike
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuchopper
2) Azoo Magic Box- 2.5 gallon, Azoo Galaxy light (13W), Mignon Filter- looks like this is the older brother of the Palm filter. You can find this on Drs Foster and Smith (at a pretty good discount):

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
I've actually seen this setup in a local Big Al's, and it's pretty decent. Comes with the nano HOB which works well. Also, the setup allows you to have an emersed plant setup, since the light is clipped on the side, and doesn't have to rest over the top of the tank. At the price that fostersmith is offering, it's a great deal. All you'd have to add is some good quality substrate (Eco-complete or flourite or Onyx sand---my preference), then plant away. I'd avoid CO2, and just use Excel.

I think a nano emersed plant tank on a desk would look really cool.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I picked the Azoo Magic Box

After a trip to all the LFS around here, I decided I liked the dimensions of this one, and the price was a steal (only $2 more than buying the light alone from drsfostersmith). It should be showing up on Tuesday.

Stan- glad they look good in person. I had to make an educated guess bases on the Red Sea Deco Art 1 gallon. I agree with you on the sand- that's what I've got going in my NanoCube 12. I really like the black sand/black wall/green plant combo. It makes the fish stand out more.

I'll let y'all know if something dramatic happens.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
My lfs has the Azoo cubes (two different sizes). And they only come in one color...black. They have an web presence, but do not include tanks (www.aquaticwarehouse.com).

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:16 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
how much as the azoo cubes at aquatic warehouse? I was just their last week getting german blue cichlids and forgot to look for small tank.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

other option

H20-

Not sure if you'd be interested, but the Azoo Magic Box is only $30 on drsfostersmith (light & filter).
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
The Azoo Magic Box is an incredible deal. Extremely incredible.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
I don't recall offhand (Maybe $60 or so for the 12x12x12 looking tank). But they aren't hard to find. They usually have one set up on that center island right when you walk in the door. That's also where they usually have a couple stacked up/piled on (check above and to the right of the light bulbs if your back is to the register). Otherwise, check under the gold fish toward the back right of the store.

If I get in there this week, I'll check prices.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

azoo 12" cube?

turbo- Am I reading this right? Azoo makes a 12" cube? I don't suppose you have the phone number of the store that carries them, do you? Thanks.

OOPS! Just found the contact info on their website.

Last edited by isuchopper; 01-23-2006 at 10:05 PM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not Azoo...Alife!

OK...went to Aquatic Warehouse. It was actually Alife that made the tanks. They were advertised to be 2 and 6 gallons. Prices ($69 and $89) include filter and light.

Here are some pics I shot with my cell (Sorry for the quality - didn't plan to go and didn't take either of my other cameras):

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good news and bad news (update)

Hey All-

So, here's an update on the Azoo Magic Box. I just received mine in the mail today and it was awesome...for the price...until I noticed a 3" chip was taken off. I could clearly see where the shipping box had taken a pretty good hit. The chip mainly got the decorative lower lip of the tank (it's the part with the color), but it got a little into what I would call the more structural part of the tank. I called the good folks at Drs Foster and Smith and Sarah was kind enough to ship me a new one right away. The good news is that I don't have to ship them back the tank: I can still use it for my quarantine tank for my dwarf crays when they show up tomorrow (hopefully). I'll give a more detailed review a little later.

Turbomkt-

Thanks for the Alife photos. I called the store, got the name and then fell flat on my face trying to find any images of them on the web. Zero luck finding a company website. It seems that alife is a pretty common term in the artificial intelligence field, so there was a lot of junk to sort through. These pictures help a lot.

Am I just seeing things wrong or is that glass pretty thin? Any idea on whether the light is any good? Thanks for the help.

Mike
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll have to check how good the light is next time I'm in.

I will say that last week at Home Depot they were selling my favorite desk lamp (27W 6500K) at a 25% discount - $15. It would work perfectly over a tank like this by keeping the light higher over the tank. This will also add nice light to your desk

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode