water temp issues/questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
water temp issues/questions

Hi everyone - I have a 1.2 gal fish bowl that I am getting started as a planted nano. I have flourite and a couple of pieces of driftwood and a lamp with an 11w cf light. I am going to plant some HC as soon as I can get some and eventually have cherry shrimp with maybe a couple of male guppies. My house is a little old and drafty so I bought the hydor mini heater to put in the bottom. I hate the way that the cord looks sticking out of the bowl, but if I need it . . . then I need it. Here is the problem - with the heater (in case you don't know, this little heater does not have a thermostat) the temp ranges from 76-84 which is a little on the high side. Without the heater, the temp ranges from 65-75 which is kinda low. Am I better of with or without the heater for what I want?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I would do without the heater, and pick fish that can easily tolerate that temperature range. There quite a few. White Cloud minnows are one, for example.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Will shrimp do okay?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:03 PM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
I had rosy barbs in an unheated tank and they were looking BETTER than the ones in my 75 high tech setup (79 degrees). Their temps were probably between 68 and 75.

I'm of the opinion that a healthy fish can survive some temp swings of more than a few degrees. Up to maybe 5 or so over a few hours if they are healthy, well fed, not stressed out otherwise. At least I've never had a problem with some hearty fish in those setups (molly, platy, various barbs).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here's a good article on the basics of shrimp keeping:

http://www.petshrimp.com/articles/keepingshrimp.html

The author suggests that the best range for shrimp is 70-80 degrees. I suspect that a gradual, overnight drop to 65 deg would not be too much stress for them, but you might want to continue to do some research on this issue.

Hope that helps,
Karla
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
This winter I have kept a Hydor in my 2.5 all glass tank. Just as you have realized, the temp can flux quite a bit, certainly when combined with a plant light. I will definitely be removing this heater as we enter the warmer months. Your plants should be fine without the heater even in winter, and as the other posters mentioned, many of the more hardy fish should do well with the lower nighttime temperature also. In fact, I only heat mine becuase I have breeding killies in the tank.

Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode