lighting over a 5.5 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Anjay
lighting over a 5.5 gallon

Hey. Ok so i have a 5.5 gallon and want to grow hc/glosso quickly, ive never really had a small tank and i realize the wpg rule doesnt apply so i was thinking maybe 3 or 4 x 10 watts of screw in pc's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:26 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
4 to me it sounds like it would be enough light to grow hc/glosso but as you know Co2 and fertilizer will be needed to really get the stuff to grow fast.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Anjay
thankyou. i have made a hood that houses 4 x 15 watt max bulbs, im going to run 4 of those mini compact bulbs that are 10 watts. My new question is i have had some flourite sitting in a 10 gallon with 4 small plants for a few months, is the flourite still good? or should i get some new stuff? Also should i dose excel or actualy try diy co2? and wat ferts? lastly, wat filter would you recommend, (hob is not an option) . thanks in advance.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:03 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
How is the temp on that hood you may need some venting on hood maybe even a small fan. For the flourite it should still be good but if looking for fast growth then some new flourite could help a little. I have read of people using the excel and having it be successful but the DIY Co2 is not that hard and is cheep (hey you will also be recycling too ) as for the fert. i dont have to much experience with it since i use a general fert. But there are good sights on the net that give the specifics on each fertilizer and its benefits. Remember each chemical is used in a specific growth function in the plant so it is a big puzzle that can be confusing at times. If there are no fish in the tank then you could use more but after a certain point it will burn the plant. As for filter a jet could do the trick if there are not to many fish. Get other advise to since I am not a complete expert the best way is go to other forms and ask questions that relate to your tank. good luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode