Help choosing filter system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Help choosing filter system

I want to start a small 8 gal. tank with a compact flouresent lighting system I saw the other day at the LFS. My problem is finding a small filter for it. I really don't like the HOB type filters due to the surface movement they cause.

Please suggest some filters I can use for my new project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I swear there was a mini canister filter for 10 gallons, I just can't seem to find the link anymore
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
I think Jdinh04 was refering to the Zoomed 501 turtle filter

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...roducts_id=404

have fun!

the KIDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 02:25 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquaphish, I've used this little internal filter by Zoomed (Microclean 304). Has adjustable flow, takes very little space in the tank (4.7" x 1.7" x 1.7), very quiet, easy to clean and maintain. It also comes with a stream diverter so that you can orient the flow downwards, to minimize surface turbulence.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=MZ3171
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the suggestions. I really liked the one krazykidd86 linked to. But it seems just a little too strong for an 8 gallon. But maybe I can enlarge the holes on the spraybar to lower the force the water exits from it. I did that on my Fluval 304 in my 40 gal because it was just whipping everything around too much. The enlarged holes solved the problem.

As far as in-tank filters - the tanks is so small to begin with I don't want to clutter it up with equipment.

I did get a Whisper 100. It is a HOB. But keep the suggestions comming. If I find a filter that I like I just might replace the 100.

Pictures of my new tank are in the PHOTO ALBUM section.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25334

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
if it was my tank, I wouldnt use a filter at all. Filters on nano tanks take up way too much room and look very ugly IMO.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphish
Thanks for the suggestions. I really liked the one krazykidd86 linked to. But it seems just a little too strong for an 8 gallon. But maybe I can enlarge the holes on the spraybar to lower the force the water exits from it. .

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25334
It's a great filter.

if you take the cap off the end of the spray bar it'll leak out slower than w/ just the spray bar holes.

- Join today!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
have you checked out the hydor filters or the stingray type ones, i forget who theyre made by
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
if it was my tank, I wouldnt use a filter at all. Filters on nano tanks take up way too much room and look very ugly IMO.
Hey Shuks. Seems just like you to suggest something like that!!! I am looking for something to go outside the tank not inside. read my first message. But thanks for your input.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhqwhgads
have you checked out the hydor filters or the stingray type ones, i forget who theyre made by
Checked out the Hydors at least the ones I can find but no luck. I am rethinking about theZOOMED 501. Or I might just take my old RIO pump and make myself a custom HOB. But for right now the Whisper 10 is doing the job.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 AM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a mattenfilter on my 10. It seems to be working nicely. I will eventually turn it into a moss wall to hide it.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode