Starting a 2.5 gallon - help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Starting a 2.5 gallon - help!

Let me first say that this is a great forum and I enjoy reading it. I'm setting up my first planted nano tank:
  • Volume : 2.5 Gal.
  • Light : 18W freshwater mini-aqualight
  • Substrate: fine gravel + 2.5 onces of laterite mixed with the bottom layer
  • No heater
  • No filter
My tap water parameters:
  • pH : 8.0
  • dKH: 8
  • dGH: 17
I'm planning on using very few plant species, most likely a "carpet"-type plant plus a stem plant behind my driftwood.

This it is the initial tank layout, but at this point I just want to be able to grow healthy plants.

I'm considering using one of the following plants for the carpet:
  • HC
  • Glossostigma
  • Marsilea minuta or Marsilea Quadrifolia
and some fast growing stem plant for the background, maybe:
  • Ceratopteris thalictroides
My questions:
  • Will I be able to grow these plants using Excel only (no DIY CO2)
  • I understand I should only start dosing liquid fert after about a month (the first month I'll only have flourish tabs in the substrate), is that correct?
  • Any other plant suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Ok, this is how it looks about 1.5 month later, after planting some water sprite, dwarf sag, and glosso.
At this point, I'm dosing the following daily:
  • excel: 0.15ml
  • Flourish Nitrogen: 0.15ml
  • Flourish Phosphorus: 0.10ml
  • Flourish Potassium: 0.40ml
I have little or no algae. The watersprite and dwarf sag have been growing quit a bit. The glosso spreads very slowly, but I'm still very far from getting that carpet effect. I'm not sure whether I should plant more glosso, or add CO2.

I just cannot take better picture or do a better aquascape. Got to find a way to get rid of these snails.

with flash on
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:11 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
looking real good!! How often are you doing water changes?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
hi there, nice little tank...I was running a 2.5 as a cheesy test for a while, but it has since become out of control and is housing a few endler fry for now.
It did just fine on Excel only. Just have to keep up with the SMALL doses of it. I would do about 8 drops from an eyedropper at night, daily. Changed 1 gallon of water once a week, now do about 1/2 twice a week with the fry in there.
I would SLOWLY add some micros into the fert mix. I was doing about 10 drops of flourish or csm or tmg 2x a week.

Also, I noticed you are in NJ...whereabouts? There are several of us on here that are NJAS (see signature) members and are more into the planted side than fish. Come join us at the next meeting if you are in the area!

I see you have the coralife mini...you might be interested in this if you haven't already seen it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. 50% water change, weekly. I add 1ml of excel right after, and skip dosing excel the next day.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl
hi there, nice little tank...I was running a 2.5 as a cheesy test for a while, but it has since become out of control and is housing a few endler fry for now.
It did just fine on Excel only. Just have to keep up with the SMALL doses of it. I would do about 8 drops from an eyedropper at night, daily. Changed 1 gallon of water once a week, now do about 1/2 twice a week with the fry in there.
I would SLOWLY add some micros into the fert mix. I was doing about 10 drops of flourish or csm or tmg 2x a week.
Thanks. I'll do that then.

Quote:
Also, I noticed you are in NJ...whereabouts? There are several of us on here that are NJAS (see signature) members and are more into the planted side than fish. Come join us at the next meeting if you are in the area!
Glen Rock, about 40 miles north of where you are. I'm busy with 2 very young kids so I'm not sure I can make it.

Quote:
I see you have the coralife mini...you might be interested in this if you haven't already seen it.
Really neat, I'll try that, thanks! I have my coralife sitting on 2 small pieces of wood on top of the glass canopy; it does not look good and blocks some of the light, so what you did is much nicer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
The glosso might spread faster if you had a smaller grained substrate. With such a small tank, you wouldn't need much at all and a gravel overhaul would be a piece of cake.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode