Eclipse tanks and growing plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eclipse tanks and growing plants

I see there is a double fixture Eclipse and a single . Does the double add plenty of light for growing plants? What kind of WPG do these tanks put out . The advetising on these tanks doesn't say what kind of wattage.

20 gallon Hex planted tank
55 Gallon Hex planted tank

My 75 gallon thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://www.petsolutions.com/12+G+Nan...001913-C-.aspx

Just found this solution with 2 24watt bulbs with cooling fans built in 48 watts for 12 gallon . Looks like a good all in one solution to a newbie like me .Any body use this? I also wonder what is better Eco complete or Seachem plant subsrate? Do you mix eco or just use is striaght?

20 gallon Hex planted tank
55 Gallon Hex planted tank

My 75 gallon thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:26 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi,

You maybe didn't mean to say Eclipse ? Anyway, lots of people here seem to have the jbj nano's and they're fine for planting.

I use eco-complete straight for all my tanks.

Fig

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Planted Member

Eclipse tanks only come with one 13 watt PC light. They are the wrong spectrum and are vastly under powered to grow anything special. Nano cubes are the ones that come with two lights with 24 watts total and a cooling fan, but are priced much higher than eclipses.

In my opinion it is easier to just retrofit an eclipse for many reasons.
1. You can get the light placement that you want.
2. The flow behind filter on a nano cube is horrible for co2.
3. Price, A nano cube tank is around 180 dollars while the eclipse is 60ish.

Like I said this is just an opinion I know someone will shut my ideas down becasue they like nano cubes and have issues with customizing tanks but I bought mine and now have 36 watts of light, better filtration, less surface turblance, and the pride of knowing I saved a lot of money making something beautiful.

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach987
Eclipse tanks only come with one 13 watt PC light. They are the wrong spectrum and are vastly under powered to grow anything special. Nano cubes are the ones that come with two lights with 24 watts total and a cooling fan, but are priced much higher than eclipses.

In my opinion it is easier to just retrofit an eclipse for many reasons.
1. You can get the light placement that you want.
2. The flow behind filter on a nano cube is horrible for co2.
3. Price, A nano cube tank is around 180 dollars while the eclipse is 60ish.

Like I said this is just an opinion I know someone will shut my ideas down becasue they like nano cubes and have issues with customizing tanks but I bought mine and now have 36 watts of light, better filtration, less surface turblance, and the pride of knowing I saved a lot of money making something beautiful.
The only thing I would question, in regards to your comments about nanocubes, is that #2. The CO2 can't be "horrible", as you've stated, since I'm able to have some of my plants pearl with just dosing Excel and running the standard, 18w PC bulb in my 6g JBJ Nanocube! So I'd say it's not the "best" setup but it is CERTAINLY NOT horrible!

That's all .

Dwarf Gourami, Cardinal Tetras, Julii Corydoras
Coralife T5NO (2x28w), DIY Yeast CO2
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Planted Member

OK I admit I sorta got on a rant about them.
Like I said it was just an opinion.

Sorry if I offend. I just think that some equipment are not the best ideas for planted tanks, Spill overflows are one of them.

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

Last edited by Zach987; 01-06-2006 at 04:36 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:35 AM

I just bought the 24g one today, why isnt it the best for CO2 i thought if its filled to the top both front and back then it wont lose any more then an eclipes does.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode