3G Eclipse Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
3G Eclipse Journal

Just started a new 3G Eclipse tank. I'm going to use this as a low-light planted tank and try out Red Sea Flora Base substrate. For now I will dose daily with a small amount of Flourish Excel, and 2/week with Flourish. Right now I have some java moss, micro sword, and anachris in there, though I more or less just threw the java moss in there as it would not be held by the substrate. This substrate is very soft and light, it almost feels like it is going to float up to the surface, but it doesn't of course.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great start! I like all the moss spread around. What fish are you planning on putting in it?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:29 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like the way the rocks contrast with your substrate.

Could I recommend some crypts as accent plants? They would look good against the backdrop of light and dark green you already have in there.

I used to have a 3 gallon eclipse low tech tank too, but the light fixture that came with it melted, and then the filter broke.Hopefully you'll have better luck with yours.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Algae Grower

Nice 3g

I have my Betta 3g at home now since i didn't want to go to work just to feed him while I was on "vacation" (being away from work = vacation). I ran just those green gems as a "substrate", java moss, a piece of driftwood, and some anacharis from my 10g in my 3g but now at work, I have a 6g and put in red sea flora base as well. Lighting is only 8W, so I am not sure myself what i'll put in there as well I guess my betta will move in once I get the interior decorating done

-AoiGSR

15g acrylic with 1 gold fish | 10g with a bunch of guppies| 40g with plants for the Goldfish's new home
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

update: well, I saw a nice piece of driftwood which I thought would look good in my 3G, so out went the rocks and in went this! It certainly has a bit more drama in it then those little rocks

Right now I have one platy, one balloon molly, and one guppy in there, this is an all male tank (fraternity I guess) because these guys were going crazy in my 10G, and a few platy fry...oh and one snail that hitchhiked on the Java Moss, even though I cleaned the moss like there was no tomorrow

I've been dosing Excel daily but to be honest I haven't seen a lot of growth, I moved some Ambulia from my 10G into this one because it seems to grow so fast.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:01 AM

Looks really nice. Doesn't the Eclipse 3g come with a 6watt fluorescent light?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks really nice. Doesn't the Eclipse 3g come with a 6watt fluorescent light?
Yep, only 2 wpg, not much...maybe I'll upgrade in the future, for now though I'll just try this as a low light tank.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 AM

Also how is the Anacharis doing in your tank? because I don't see it in the updated pic.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Also how is the Anacharis doing in your tank? because I don't see it in the updated pic.
I took it out as it didn't look that good with the other plants, but it was growing OK before I took it out...I even put some of it into an old goldfish bowl I had with Flora Base and put it in my kitchen...it managed to grow with only my kitchen lighting!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
niice wood.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
That wood is really nice. Seems all is going good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:18 AM

Is this what you are using for substrate? http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=3349;pcid2= If so how do you like it?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is this what you are using for substrate? http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/... 1=3349;pcid2= If so how do you like it?
No, it is called Red Sea Flora Base http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113555 and it is a very light granule substrate...its very hard to keep stem plants rooted in this, they are always floating to the top...plus it is monochromatic in appearance, which is both good/bad...good because it creates such a nice contrast between the substrate and wood/plants...bad because it almost seems a little un-natural in that is has no variety in appearence...I definitely prefer Flourite over this substrate.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Great looking setup you got there. It's nice to see a thread on 3 gallon eclipse systems. The addition of that wood is great. It looks like the excel is growing your moss very well.

Keep it Rockin!

the KIDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode