thinking of starting a shrimp planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
thinking of starting a shrimp planted tank

Hey all, I finally joined the form and am now looking for advice on a small 1 gallon too 3 gallon planted shrimp tank. I already have a 10 gallon planted tank with around 26 watts (so mostly low light plants) but I have been thinking about setting up a small planted tank for a while. My main question is how much light do i need for a 1 or 3 gallon tank to grow a glosso like plant that covers the ground. At Petco there is a cheep 1 gallon set up (http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...&N=24+115&cp=3) but it only has 7 watt lamp which will probably restrict me to nana anubias and other low light plants. Their is also nano tanks on catalinaaquarium.com that seems to be better for what i want but is above what i am wanting to pay. If you have any advice on what the Petco tank this would also be helpfull, like if you know its loud or not well made, i would hate to waste money.
thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I have tried looking around the net and have not found any other complete tanks that would be able to grow the ground cover plants. I am also wondering hoe easy it is to contain the cherry shrimp in these small tanks and how often they escape? if any one know what the lighting will be able to grow or of any other good deals this would be great. The more info i have the less of the chance that things will die.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
I don't have any experience with that Petco tank, but I can tell you that you are correct about the fact that it would be a low light tank. But... if you want a good nano tank for shrimp, low light is a good way to go. Java moss would grow well in there, and shrimp love mosses. If you want a foreground plant like Glosso, you will definitely need more light, and will have to spend about $25 to $40. You could try one of these http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/prod...tegory_id=1875 or one of those 26w lights from Catalina (I don't know much about Catalina, but they look like they are decent) over a standard 2.5 gallon. Cherry shrimp work well in smaller tanks, I have had Amano shrimp go carpet surfing but have never lost a Cherry that way.

-Craig

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. yea I was figuring the 7w light would not do it. I might just splurge and get the Catalina but its a little annoying having a nano tank that has more watt than my 10g and I think I might need a CO2 system with that watt in a small tank. How may Cherry shrimp would the 1g hold and would they breed well in there? Any info on the Cherry shrimp would be great but I don't think they would be much different than the Amano shrimp. Still looking around for the best tank for the lowest price. Advice on what direction I should is always appreciated
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:47 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by co2
...I have had Amano shrimp go carpet surfing...
Thinks.....

Thinks...

Ahh!

Now i feel stupid.

You have an amano shrimp jump out of tank?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Two weeks ago I would have endorsed Catalina for their fine products and timely delivery. I recently got a 36 watt fixure for my 15 high, and they gave me the wrong light bulb (Iwanted a 6500K, they gave me a 50/50 10,000K actinic). I figured, "hey they are probably busy around the holidays, give them a break." So I e-mailed them about it and they said they only made 36 watt bulbs in 6500K. A total lie! I'm looking at a 50/50 actinic right now! They didn't even include a splash guard. Stay away from Catalina.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
I have had a bad experience with Catalina(aquauniverse). The light hood I ordered took a long time to get to me and when I got it, it was different than what they explained to me over the phone. It was only a major difference in the reflector design, not like that is important with T5 HO lighting(not!). Not to mention the craftsmanship was sub par for the overall hood itself and the mounting legs rose the hood over a foot above the tank(useless).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Yea i don't think I would have ordered the Catalina tank unless it got rave reviews. I have been thinking that a low light 1g tank would be better since I would not have to worry about CO2. i think I could put together a nice tank with black rock or sand substrate with java moss, Nana Anubais, and a small drift wood. Any other ideas about planting with the 7w 1g would be appreciated but I am still looking around on the net at other small tanks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

If I was you I would stick with low light and Java Moss with some Anubias. Have you seen the Nana "Mini" on AquaBid? You can get some small branchy wood and tie the moss to it with thread, and then put the Anubias at the base of the wood. I would use light colored sand for the substrate. It's easier for water conditions to go bad in a smaller tank, so be careful with things like overfeeding. I would plant the tank, and wait till the moss starts growing before adding shrimp if you want to be really careful. Then don't feed them for a week or so (they will eat the moss and decaying matter, etc). As long as they are alive and you have males and females they will breed, at least in most cases.

-Craig
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:52 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
Thinks.....

Thinks...

Ahh!

Now i feel stupid.

You have an amano shrimp jump out of tank?
Amano shrimp are pretty infamous for climbing out of tanks. I guess they climb up hoses(?) I think I read that Takashi said they are just trying to get back to Japan, haha.

-Craig
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

yea i am starting to like the sound of the low light 1g since i just went to Dolphin Pet Center and didn't have any tanks that were in my price range and lights that would fit it. The sand looked good but did not see any branchy sticks. co2 I think am imagining the same set up but I forgot all about the Anubias nana need to be mounted. I also have another idea that I am debating between is a male/female betta tank that is divided to many ideas.
I have another question about my 10g light. Is there an easy way to make the box that the lights are in (2 neon strips) have reflective material or would this really not do much. Also would adding sand the the pebble gravel help in holding nutrients? so many questions to improve my tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode