I have a hard filter question for you guys =) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
I have a hard filter question for you guys =)

I was wondering if it was possible to have an overflow type of filter that does NOT require drilling or any modifications to the tank itself. I don't like the HOB and the internal filter because it's not hidden like the overflow with the sump. Does anyone have a link, picture, or plans of an overflow filter for a nano tank (by nano I mean under 2 gallons). Thanks.

Last edited by JBN; 12-19-2005 at 03:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:42 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Well, I don't have any plans for overflows on a 2gal, but I know that it's possible. Basically, you have to hang an overflow-box on the back of the tank, which is just about as big as a HOB filter! Doesn't see worth it to me . . .
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
hob overflows are available. but like said above, its pretty big.
i have one for my 55 gallon and couldn't imagine one being made for a 2 gallon aquarium.
plus its alot of hardware. you'd need the overflow, a space under your tank for all the water to go, another tank to hold some water, and a pump to push the water back up.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'd stick with a small filter like the Red Sea Nano (HOB). All you see is basically the tube which comes down into the tank. The rest of the filter sits behind the tank and can't be seen. I'm about to put a Oceanvision backing to the Ocean Free tank to hide the lines and filter from being viewed when looking directly into the tank.

The problem with using an overflow box is that you'll end up with a larger compartment in the back (HOB) or end up with a pump inside the tank. It would just be easier and cleaner to go with something like the Red Sea unit instead.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
Please check the DIY section on the topic "DIY Mini Canister Filter for nano tanks" because I've just posted something that may be helpful for you guys
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
It is pretty easy to get an overflow setup in a nano tank. If building the tank yourself Put a peice of black acrylic in the back with enough room to fit a small pump in a corner and media on one side. one of the top corners will be the actual overflow of the tank. Simply cut out lines to allow ater to flow through. then add a series of walls to hold media that it will flow over and into. Then in the opposite side of the overflow simply make a compartment big enough to fit a return pump and outlet that hangs over the top. if not building just add the piece into a existing tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode