2.5 mini bow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
2.5 mini bow

I have a 2.5 gallon minibow that I am going to turn into a planted tank. I am going to use ecocomplete for the substrate. I need to replace the current bulb with a compact flourescent. When I went to the fish store, they told me the bulb would get too hot. Of course they had an expensive new lighting system to sell me. I think I have seen others replace their cheapo bulbs on their minibows with CF's. Is this right? If so, what bulbs do you use? This way I can just go into the store and buy it!! I have a filter but I thought I might go filterless and have only a few shrimp in it with the plants. Would that be OK or do I need the filter? Would I need some sort of DIY CO2 or would I be able to get by with liquid fert's? Hope to set this tank up after New Year's. Thanks for any advice!

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:51 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Jackie,

What wattage was the incandescent bulb that came with it? Incandescent bulbs run way hotter than flourescents IME so unless you were going with a way higher wattage cf or larger size I don't understand why it would be a problem. Any cf bulb in the 5000 to 10,000 Kelvin range will work - most prefer the 6700 range for color rendition. I have 2 All Glass Aquarium 11 watt 6500k bulbs over my 10 galllon. You should be able to find those online. I'm not sure whether 11 watts would be too much for that size aquarium - hopefully someone else will advise if you need a smaller one.

Bill
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
i replaced the incandescent bulb that was in my 5 gallon with a 15 watt 6500K screw in CF. worls very well for me. i got mine at walmart for maybe 5 bucks or so. pretty darn cheap. im sure the spectrum isnt as good as some of the 6500s but its looks nice.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Hi

Hi the 11 watt screw in pc bulb will do just fine and it should put you at a medium-medium high light tank. DUDE YOUR FISH STORE IS LYING. Go buy a screw in pc bulb and if your not sure about any thing else post here before you go to your LFS and buy something you don't need ok.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
I figured my LFS was lying or perhaps the sales guy just wanted to sell me something expensive. I tried to take out the current bulb this morning and it came apart so now I have to unscrew the fixture and take it out with a pliers. I'll go with the 11W CF and we'll see what happens. I'm away for Christmas so hope to set the tank up over New Year's.

One more question--I want a good substrate, I had thought ecocomplete--what are the pros/cons of laterite vs. ecocomplete? I can get both, I thought the ecocomplete looks nicer than the laterite.

Do shrimp need a heater? I'm hoping to go without a filter or heater to save space, 2.5 gallons is not much space. My house is generally 65 degrees or so in the winter.

Looking forward to this project, I have 2 other small tanks--a 5.5G planted (just plain gravel and a regular lamp, but the red melons swords and anachris love it) that holds a betta and 3 white clouds, and a 10 gallon planted (also gravel with a 20W plant light) that holds 2 fire belly newts.

We're moving in 7-8 months cross country so everything will be broken down. When I start up again I hope to upgrade all my substrate, including my 55G which I recently did an AHS retrofit on to upgrade the lighting to 2wpg.

I'll try to post pics when I can get some good ones.
Jackie
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
go with eco over laterite.

you should be ok without a filter and heater in that tank. the cf will give off some heat which will heat the water. i dont have a heater or filter in my shrimp bowl and they are all doing fine. i also dont have a heater in my 5 and its all good.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:37 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 2.5 gallon minibow and I replaced the incandescent bulb that came with it with a 10 watt 6700k compact fluorescent from Walmart -- works great, and I haven't had any problems with overheating.

My tank is in one of the cooler rooms of the house and was dipping a bit cooler than I'd like, so I also recently added a 7.5 watt Hydor mini-heater. It can be placed under the gravel so there's no visible heater taking up space. I think it was under $10 and, while it doesn't have a thermostat, it seems to keep the water temperature pretty consistently a few degrees higher than it would have been without it.

I'm using a Red Sea Nano filter with it which seems to be working out great. It takes up almost no space in the tank (unlike the internal filter that came with the MiniBow!) and keeps the water nice and clear.

Have fun with your tank!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode