Excel for Carbon -- Can you dilute? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Excel for Carbon -- Can you dilute?

I have a 2.5 gallon minibow and I use Excel as the carbon source. I'm trying to figure out the proper dose for this tank and was wondering how much and how often others dose Excel.

Also, since the daily dose is, I think, 1 capful for 50 gallons and it would be nearly impossible to figure out what 1/20 of a capful looks like by eye, would it be advisable to dilute a capful of excel with, say, 19 capfuls of water and then use THAT to dose the Nano by the capful? Or is there some reason not to dilute the Excel. (I have an empty Excel bottle that I could use for this purpose, labeling it as "DILUTED FOR NANO" with a permanent marker if this seems a reasonable course of action.

I'm also using the Kent plant series in this tank (Pro Plant, Freshwater Plant, Blackwater stuff -- I got a kit with all 3 bottles) and wondered if it would be advisable to mix up a weekly dose of all three, using the measurements for 10 gallons as indicated on the label, then dilute it with water to make it 1/4 strength and use that "master mix" in the 2.5 gallon at the more-easily-measurable volumes of a tsp or TBSP instead of a couple of ml?

Thoughts? Thanks, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Since I planned on using Excel in a 1.3, 2.5 and 10g, I chose to keep the Excel at full strength and figure out the minute dosages so I could dose all three from the same source.

This will vary from dropper to dropper:

I took a 5ml test vial and filled it with 5ml of solution. I took a medicine dropper than came with one of my old test kits and proceeded to remove the solution from the vial and counted the drops. It came out to around .06ml of solution in one drop.

I calculated my Excel dosage at either 1.5x or 2x the normal dosage, I don't remember which. Anyway, it came out to 3 drops of Excel per gallon.

I dose 6 drops in my 26w 2.5g everyday and am growing dwarf hairgrass and HC. I'm also dosing EI at about 50% the normal target rates. To be honest, I should probably back the Excel off to 4 or 5 drops since I'm dosing daily. Large waterchanges every weekend.

The Math:

5ml / 50 gallons = .1ml/g
Each dropper drop was .06ml, so 1.67 drops gets me .1ml
So 1.67 drops x 1.5 (one and a half the normal dosage rate) = 2.5 drops/g
Multiply 2.5 drops by the volume of your nano, 2.5g, 2.5 x 2.5 = 6.25 drops.
So 6.25 drops in an EMPTY 2.5g tank, might as well say 5-6 drops to account for substrate and plant displacement.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You want to dose 1 capful for 50 gallons?

1 capful = 5mL.
If 5mL is the dose for 50 gallons, then 0.25mL is the dose for 2.5 gallons. Of course I suppose your tank doesn't hold 2.5 gallons, so to err on the side of caution you could consider dosing 0.2mL.

Pick up an insulin syringe at a pharmacy and you're all set.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode