Decided to startup a small planted nano. Here are the specs

2.5g AGA
AC 20 power filter
50 watt stainless heater buried in gravel in rear with remote temp. probe
digital thermometer with sensor in AC20
13W CF 10k AH supply retrofit
black gravel with laterite
wood canopy/base stained in light oak

Not 100% sure on plant ID, but I believe I have two Anubias Nana, and some vals in the back. I plan on housing a single betta in the tank. Hopefully 13W will be enough for these plants. Not sure if I can grow the nicer foreground lawn plants with just 13w although the reflector with the AH retro is quite nice.

Had to saw the African driftwood into a smaller piece to get it to fit into the 2.5g.

Water is still a bit cloudy in the pics since the tank was just setup yesterday.

Pics

Pics of my 3 nano's side by side - the two on the right are saltwater reefs. A 12g custom and a 2.5g reef wall with surge device.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Nice. The 2.5 fresh looks like a tank and stand turned upside down!

The 13w should be just fine for those plants. Besides, you aren't injecting Co2 so you don't need the lighting/ferts to be aggressive since Carbon content will be your limiting growth factor. I put 2 x 13w over a 2.5 using Excel for carbon and got algae covering everything. Pulled one of the lights and things have balanced out nicely.

I also really like that 12g reef.

I also appreciate your sense of order and style about aquariums. It's nice when people take the time to make sure the tech running their tanks doesn't steal the show. It's always nice to make tanks look as "unpowered" as possible. Really, a clear block of nature is the best look.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hi,

Thanks - what type of plants are you growing in your 2.5g, and how often are you adding Excel? I saw this low light foreground plant that has me interested - might be good to fill in the space in front of the driftwood.

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/prod...08&1=216&3=850

I'm not sure if it will stay compact with such little light, the Amano light calculator tells me I should have 35 watts over my 2.5g but that just doesn't seem to be realistic unless I go with a pendant setup.

I agree on keeping the tank clear of un-natural things as possible. My favorite tank setups are actually open top with pendants but its not economical on a 2.5g.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Currently I'm using Dwarf Hairgrass and HC. I'm still trying to decide if I want to pull up the wood to tie mini moss on. I may wait for the HC to grow in and then see if the tank is "missing" anything.

I'm adding Excel everyday, 2x manufacturer's dosage. I'm going to run pressurized Co2 but I'm waiting on some parts from Rex that should let me split it to three different tanks.

I'm using Azoo Galaxy lights that I've painted. Here's the 2.5g. With these lights it's easy to put 26w over a 2.5. Might be able to put 39w over it but you'd lose a lot from spillage over the sides with them crammed over the tank so tight. I've run this 2.5 with 26w and I can tell you 30+ would be crazy without injected co2 and fast growing stems, which of course don't work well in nano tanks.

The description says that Marsilea minuta (aquatic clover) grows about the same size as glosso. Wouldn't that be a little big for a nano foreground? But I dunno. It's an easy thing to try and find out.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great tanks - I also have the Galaxy lights - nice mods that you have done to them. The reflector that comes with them are pretty bad, the AH Supply miro-4 reflector IMO is much better than the Galaxy one. If you want to go with a pendant, I found that you can use the Mini Aqualight as one, you just need to drill two holes into the top to mount the eye hooks and use black chain from home depot to mount them. You can fit 13w bulbs into them as well although people have had mixed results firing them consistently with the stock ballast.

I like your aquascape a lot, very clean looking and the tank is a very nice design. I'll post my other comments on your thread.

-Mike
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Where did you get that middle tank? I have been looking for a rimless for awhile.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi,
I had the tank built custom by www.glasscages.com 3/4" glass with low iron front pane. Cost was $100, work was ok - sloppy silicone work but cost was low for a tank built to my spec with 3/4" glass. Interamerica and Miracles do better work but will cost more.

-Mike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
All you need is a Vivirium and you have a sweet set going on there.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Nice Tanks!

All you need is a Vivirium and you have a sweet set going on there.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:48 AM

I like it, though I like the salt system even more (nano-reefing all the way!!!)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi,

Here are the links to the nano SW tanks for folks that requested more info.

2.5g
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...opic=69501&hl=

12g custom
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=57475

-Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode