1st Planted Tank - 2.5g nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking 1st Planted Tank - 2.5g nano

NOTE: *** = edit

Uh-oh, I got sucked into reef tanks by a 2.5gal so why not use the same forumla for planted tanks?!

Thankfully I recently got out of saltwater tanks so I've got a lot of extra equiptment to re-use. This tank was the same one I used on my 1st saltwater tank. I was browsing this forum (god bless you google, 4pm ish) and had to run out to petsmart and get some Flourite and some cheapo plants.

(5pm)At petsmart I picked up:

7lbs Flourite ($25)
1 Amazon Fern (?) (~$4) *** Java Fern***
1 Grass Looking Thingy (?) (~$1.50) *** Japanese Rush ***
2 Ghost Shrimp (30 cents each)

With tax and all it came out to $34.65. I had $34.86 on me.

(6pm) @ Home:
Rinsed out 2.5gal with just some tap water. I then added about 2.5-3in Flourite to the tank. I had some nifty rocks laying around so they went in too(after washing). Some washed off gravel from the back yard really added that home-made touch.

I slowly added about 1 gal generic "kroger brand" bottled water, then just filled the rest up with dechlorinated tap water. Needless to say my tank was very blurry! I re-used a nice 13w 10k PC lamp to make it bright blurryness.

At the moment (7pm) the water's heating up and clearing out a bit. I've got a small powerhead in there on the lowest setting. Nothing's actually IN the tank yet, the plants and shrimp are waiting for it to warm up some. Once thing heat up and I snap a picture I'll update!

Last edited by stevenhman; 12-07-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Part II

Ok, temp's evened out at about 75 F. Floated the shrimp & plants, added to tank.

My semi-mystery plants. ID Please?
*** Thanks guys! Left Plant: Japanese Rush , Right Plant: Java Fern ***

A Very Cloudy Shot of the tank, on top there's the 13w PC I'll be using plus a 9w flourecent from an old eclipse 6 just for the photo. The powerhead isn't on in the pic. It is still off atm.

I know I've still got a lot of reading to do At least I got my fix though.

Last edited by stevenhman; 12-07-2005 at 01:29 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I tihnk that the plant on the right may be java fern

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 AM
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
I agree. I believe the one on the right is java fern but I don't know what the one on the left is. I can't wait to see the tank clear up
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Er.. Part II.I

Yeah, I can't wait til it clears up either.
---
Questions:

What should I feed the shrimp with? Bloodworms, some sort of pellet, will they eat scraps from flake food?

I don't really ever intend on checking paramaters on this little guy. What's a standard water change? 10-20%?
---
When more bioload is added I intend to get a small hob and use it instead of the powerhead.

Here's a quick shot of what you can see from the back of the tank.

Hopefully a clear shot or so tomorrow morning. *yawn* time for bed!

Last edited by stevenhman; 12-06-2005 at 02:32 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
When I put my flourite in I did about 2 50% ater changes to gt rid of most of the suspended particles, I did this mainly to keep from cloging my filter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:53 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Yes shrimpies will eat the flakes, but it's more a question of getting to them. If the flakes reach the shrimp, they will eat it. Sinking algae/veggie wafers might be a good thing to try.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm... tank isn't really clear yet.

I might do a water change or two today or tomorrow. The little ghost shrimp are zooming around all over the place. They remind me of my pepermint shrimp I used to have in my saltwater tank. Petsmart had a pretty weak selection of plants, I might try some other stores today and see if they have anything neat.

I'm not really pleased with the placement of plants/rocks. I might have to do some rearranging later.

As soon as something happens (tank clears, new plants, or whatever) I'l post another pic up.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
IME ghost shrimp will eat anything you toss in the tank as soon as it hits the water. When I toss in flake in a 5 gallon with only ghost shrimp they all flock to the top and grab whatever they can as soon as the flake hits the water.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

The plant on the right is definately java fern (Microsorium pteropus).

The "grass" plant on the left I do not know, and IMO looks unlike any aquatic plant I have seen. Is it quite 'rigid' out of water? i.e, do the stems stay upright by themselves. I have a feeling it might be a terrestrial.

Regards,

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Algae Grower

Curious, did you wash the flourite? That's giving you lots of cloudyness. You might want to try rinsing it again, since its only 2.5 gallons and you don't have much to start with yet. Or be patient and do a couple of water changes, and clean out the filter.

Looks pretty good so far. I look forward to seeing it once the dust settles.

Luigi
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:39 PM

The plant on the left might be a japanese Rush plant. I think its terrestial too.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, the plant is rigid out of the water.

The fact that I might have been sold a terrestrial plant instead of an aquatic one by Petsmart somehow deosn't really surprise me all that much (for some reason it took me forever to write that sentence, studying two languages at once really doesn't help my english).

In my haste I did not wash the Flourite. I did a 50% water change and this was the result:

It's not a great shot (thanks to my amazing camera). I'm gonna do another 25-50% change tomorrow.

I'll probably just let that grassy plant stay in there for now and just see what happens. If it starts to look ill I'll take it out and pot it. I'm probably going to go to another (WAY better) store about an hour away from where I live. I traded my SW stuff in there, time to convert it into FW! I'm already eyeballing my old 16gal bowfront. I've also got an empty 20H. Decisions, decisions...

***EDIT***
What a surprise! (about the Japanese Rush)
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/stats..._plants1e.html

Edit, edit:
http://www.paghat.com/dwarfsweetflag.html

That site says these plants just exentually die completley submerged. It says they do best with just their roots put in the water.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:05 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can use the plant guide here They even have a list of nonaquatic plants that are sold.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode