startin' up a 10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
startin' up a 10

Alright, i think ive posted this before, but i never went through with it. That tank has been sold, and I have aqcuired a new one. I am DEFINATELY making this one a planted tank. I was wondering about a couple things though...

I want 1-2 rams.... but i also have way too many guppies and need a proper place to put some.. could i fit a few in there?(about 3) Also, what kind of tetras would be best? If I end up finding them, i will get some cardinals... they are hard to find here in my area... its just neons. If not, I am thinkning about getting some congo tetras. Will these fish do ok together? (also, i will get ottos or corys as cleaners) I am also wondering how I will get the plants to grow. The last time i started a planted tank, the plants lasted for about a month. I was reading around, and i think the tank is too small to put co2 in. Will one of the little plant nutrient "dropper" bottles work?

I am really excited about this. ... I just need some help to get me on my way

Last edited by Neoman; 07-02-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Please reply...

Last edited by Neoman; 07-02-2006 at 08:42 PM.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
I think 2 rams would be okay in a 10 gallon along with say 3-5 guppies, and 2 ottos or 2 cories. As for tetras, I believe you'll be okay with any kind, its a matter of personal choice. The rams are the limiting factor b/c they require the most space.

In terms of plants, you can read around and find out the basics requirements to grow plants, such as lighting, fertilzers, co2, etc. But to give you an idea, for a low tech setup. Low light plants like java fern, java moss, anubias will do fine with just under between 2.0 wpg (watts per gallon). DIY co2 or Flourish excel will provide co2 and help them do better. As for fertilizers, flourish and flourish iron will help you, or go to Gregwatson.com and purchase some NPK and plantex for a year worths supply for under $20.

If you have more light above 2 wpg, then you'll need co2, and fertilizers.

Oh ya, 10 gallon is not too small to run co2.

If you desire more specific answers, and advice, how many watts are you running, DIY co2, fertilizers?

Best of Luck!

the KIDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Hi

First you need to choose the gravel (flourite,eco complete)

Second you have to know what type of tank you want like low light, mid, or high. Then you can chose your plants based on that.

Just to add you can add Co2 and should add Co2 for light from mid-high to high light tanks. Your fish will tell you if there is too much Co2 in the tank by gasping at the surface. This is why you should watch your fish for the next day or so.

Here is a link that will help you tell how much Co2 in the tank. Note before you start adding Co2 test your PH and GH too get a base line. Then test the next morning before you trun on the lights and again before you trun off the lights to get your range.

GOOD LUCK
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright.... I have 2 male guppies in there right now. (a snakeskin and a HB ) Tommorow im gonna head on over to the pet store: mind you im just a kid so my current budget is $90 . Im gonna get some stock for my tank (maybe the tetras) and also some eco-complete, or laterite ( which one works best? ) i might not be able to get a co2 for a while though. Im going to try to find some rams, but i might want to hold off on them, considering the last 3 i have gotten in my other attepts have failed. Once again, would one of those little dropper bottles of plant nutrients work for a while? (How much would co2 for a 10 gallon be? ) Thanks for your replies!
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Neoman,

Not sure what you mean by small dropper for plants. If you are refering to Seachem Flourish line of fertilizers or any liquid fertilizer that typically are found at petsmart for $7-8 then yes. But if it is something else, you're gonna need to be a little more specific, because you got me puzzled Here's a link for liquid fertilizers: http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/cate...tegory_id=3141

But it's cheaper to go to get gregwatson.com dry fertilizers because it will last you 1+ year supply for $20 vs 1-1.5 month with other liquid fertilizers for $20.

For CO2, you need to test PH and KH, and find the relationship according to the chart here, but you want between 20-30 ppm: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23531

You can run a Do It Yourself Co2 for cheap $10, and run it into your filter intake, just requires monthly attention for making the yeast recipe, and you drinking some juice or soda (for the bottle). here's some articles regarding it https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23742

As for lighting...hmm I assume you have the standard stock lighting so 15w standard flourscent. You're probably going to need more lite if you want to grow plants well, stick to low lights plants if you can. or checkout ahsupply.com for a 36watt upgrade.

Ask around in the Swap and shop section for low light plants, people are generally really nice about portions of plants, and price.

Again, Best of Luck!

the KIDD

post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree with the Kid,

If I were you I would do this with my $100 budget

1. Go to Petsmart pricematch Seachem Flourite with this
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/prod...tegory_id=3145 - $12.99

2. Read DIY CO2 articles, get your yeast + bottle + tubing - $6-7

3. Go to gregwatson.com get 1lb of each for $20 shipped

Monopotassium Phosphate KH2PO4
Potassium Sulphate K2S04
Potassium Nitrate KN03
Plantex CSM+B

4. Lights Ahsupply.com for 36watt kit - $41.99
5. Get a 36 watt bulb - 23.95 + 5-7 shipping

That's all for about $90-100.
You could go cheaper for lights and combine #'s 4 & 5
with a coralife fixture and add a 6500k bulb to the order. $55-60 shipped.

Luigi
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Pretty nice budget, Luigi. I didn't know Petsmart would match web prices!

Only one thing missing. To effectively run and understand a CO2-injected, Greg Watson-style PMDD fertilized tank, you really need the following test kits:

Iron
GH/KH
Phosphate

That's in addition to the kits you should really should have for *any* tank:

pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Oh yeah, and then there's the plants and fish...

One extra possible price-cutting measure. If your 10 gallon has an incandescent hood and has sufficient clearance, you can pop some compact-fluorescent spiral lights in there for a lot more lumens.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for your replies again And sorry i have so many questions... im new at planted tanks Yes kid, those were the "dropper bottles" i was wonndering about. I think i will wait a little while on co2 and get that until i have enough money for a proper co2 system. Ive decided on 1-2 rams (depending on how many i find, the price, and their health ) some congo tetras (probably 3) @ guppies, 2 ottos, and a cory. I havent decided for plants yet... how many watts of light would it take to make the tank a "high light" tank? Thanks again!
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1-2 wpg = low
2-3 wpg = medium/low
3.0 wpg = medium/high light

Generally anything above 3.0 wpg should allow you to grow anything. Luigi layed out a good plan for you and your budget. DIY C02 is affordable, again make the yeast reaction in a bottle, drill ahole in the bottle cap, pull one side of the line into bottle, the other in filter intake, no more than $10. The light is the most expensive for your setup.

I recommend, getting lights first, work on DIY CO2, and understand dry fertilizers.

Good Luck!
the KIDD

post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
The rule doesn't apply to small tanks krazykid, 60-96 watts is considered higher light for 10g.
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlehead
The rule doesn't apply to small tanks krazykid, 60-96 watts is considered higher light for 10g.
I've heard that many times, but never understood why? Seems like in a smaller tank the distance from the lights to the bottom is smaller, so it should be easier to get good illumination.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
i have a 10g planted... i dont dose ferts.... and no co2... have had it up since week after labor day weekend this year.. plants all grow great... this is with a stock fixture one 18watt bulb (may be 15watt cant remember) so its about 20 wats give or take! you can grow all low light plants and quite a few medium light plants along with a few high light here and there... in my tank i have two blue rams 2 ott's and i had two corries one died... i advise u to at least get two corries they like to be with their own kind and dont worry one more wont hurt... i still need to get another one.. so here is what i did with my tank. bought a new bulb since im using an extremely old fixture. then i got a regular hang on powerfilter.. works great! then i got a bag of flourite and washed it heavily (i paid the $25....) i waited a few days to let all that settle... now here is ur step to add ur hardscape.. i did mine later. after that i let that settle a day or two then i headed up to my favorite lfs and got a few plants. my selection that day was 1 aunbus coffilioa a microswordy like plant... (still havent bothered to id it) red and green wedditti and some java moss. (later that week i got some cobomba clippings free!) you should talk to the lfs employees because i know at mine they are more than willing to give away the clipping free so they dont throw them out. after i got the plants i waited around a week. then i picked up a trio of amono shrimp. (gost would be better in ur case since u know u want rams) and i also got 2 ott's (if i was to do it over i would of gotten 3 or 4. now let all those settle at the moment you have a completely no matinence tank for the most part! also get a few corries... u can throw some fish food for those tho....

now you let ur plants grow! and then later after it gets established add the main fishies the rams but they will eat shrimp so once u add the rams the shrimp are gone....

well theres my 2cents hope it gives u an idea of how i did mine and hopefully will help you with urs.. have questions ask away its a great forum and ive learned most if not all i know about planted tanks here!

Fn

PS. to this day i spent $75 on the tank (already had tank filter and hood) so ur budget is perfect... im also in the same boat as you being younger
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well i THOUGHT i was going to the petstore today but some people in my family cant keep promises..... I HATE being a kid.

Last edited by Neoman; 07-02-2006 at 08:48 PM.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoman
well i THoUGHT i was going to the petstore today but some people in my family cant keep promises..... I HATE being a kid.

lol who doesnt.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode