2.5g Planted Nano With Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5g Planted Nano With Questions

Hey guys I bought a 2.5 gallon glass tank a few weeks ago. I have most of the plants I plan on getting so far (although I'm still looking for some small driftwood), but not totally sure on what I want to put in the tank. Basically what I have been thinking of is either a crowntail or half-moon show betta, or a pair of a smaller breed of fish (gourami or a dwarf cichlid maybe?), or maybe something else (not sure), and I can't think of what I could have as a breeding pair in the tank, if there would be tankmates, or if there are any other options (small schooling fish maybe?). I'll also be posting different pictures of the stages the tank has gone through so far, and when I get further along in this project I will be posting new pics . Without further ado, here they are:

Here is the tank completely bare, just the light in there (I believe its a 20-30 watt screw in bulb).

White sand added

First plant in An Anubias.

Pic of the tank last night, I went and bought 2 small sword plants
(these are temporary since I know they will grow, I will probably replace them with java ferns) I also added some pygmy chain sword from my 29g.

Here's another pic of it from last night

Hope you guys like it

Suggestions are greatly appreciated, and I really want to know your opinions on what I should put in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any suggestions on stocking?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
How about Endlers or a Betta? Maybe just a breeding colony of some shrimp?

I think a nice pair of Apistos would look good in there and enjoy the sandy substrate however I don't think the tank is large enough.

You could always put a small oscar in there and buy a new tank later

I'm kidding about the oscar but it struck me as funny because I can't tell you how many times I hear that at work. "Well, I'm getting a really big 1,500,000 gallon tank from my sisters uncle, who by the way is my dad. So I'll just put the oscar in my 10 gallon until then." Yea right.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirston
How about Endlers or a Betta? Maybe just a breeding colony of some shrimp?
That's what I was thinking. I have a betta in mine and hope to set another up with shrimp (maybe sooner than later depending on my upcoming shipment from a fellow on this site.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirston
I'm kidding about the oscar but it struck me as funny because I can't tell you how many times I hear that at work. "Well, I'm getting a really big 1,500,000 gallon tank from my sisters uncle, who by the way is my dad. So I'll just put the oscar in my 10 gallon until then." Yea right.
I'm so glad you clarified. I was horrified when I read the post but had a good laugh in the end. LOL! My husband did that very thing in college. Poor fellow.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys I liked the idea of a betta or shrimp, but I wondered if there were any other things you could keep in a tank this small. I have to admit I'm not used to nano tanks (I have [2]10 gallons and [2]29 gallons)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

2.5 palnted Nano

You could try a pair of smaller killies. I keep a pair of F. amieti in my 2.5g planted. Here is a link if you are not familiar with this type of fish.
http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killif...site/Index.htm
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 04:05 AM

kilifish, eh? I hear they're a bit aggressive.

What do you do to solve algae problems?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There are numerous species of killies, and yes some species are known for being aggressive towards each other. Many types, however, are quite peaceful (most Aphy. species...see link from earlier post). As far as algae, I don't have a problem in the 2.5 (wish I could say the same for my 29g ). I use a 9W 6700K bulb. The substrate is sterilized peat (the killies spawn in it but you could also spawn them in fine sand). The plants in the tank are java moss, water sprite, and duckweed. I'm sure an A. barteri nana petite would also fare well in there. I like killies in planted nano tanks, because they don't require filtration or very warm water, and the plants cause them to relax and really show their colors.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Planted Member

I would suggest taking the Anubias out of the sand and mounting it to some wood or rock.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 06:17 PM

Killies are great but they suck to feed. BBS every day. I was breeding a few species for a while but I hate BBS so I had to get rid of them. BBS for fry is fine, but every day for full grown adult fish ugh....
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Many killies will eat frozen blood worms with gusto and can even be trained (when young) to accept pellet and flake foods. Any live food, including BBS, will work for them too. I feed mine frozen blood worms and live BBS since I always have both on hand for my other tanks. At least they are small fish and don't require too much food, which is important in a nonfiltered 2.5g .
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh forgot to mention, the tank IS filtered by a small internal filter (one built for a 3g I believe)...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Planted Member

Boraras Brigittae/Merah, shrimps and an otto, or 2.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
A small school of Boraras micros has my vote. Beautiful, TINY little fish, with a couple cherry red shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As an update, the tank is now happily stocked.
Current stocking is this:
A mated pair of sparkling gourami
4 Amano Shrimp
A temporary oto (to help with the algae problem for a couple days, I do know he shouldn't live there permanantly)
And they all seem extremely happy. There was first a single male sparkler then I bought him a mate and within 15 minutes of her coming out of the bag, they were already trying to mate (Didn't work very well since he didn't have a nest ready). The amanos I bought because of the algae problem and now I'm just in love with them! I plan on getting a few more friday or saturday.
Any comments on this stock list, complaints?
I'll post a pic as soon as I find batteries for my camera .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode