7.5 shallow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile 7.5 shallow

Hello,

I'm new to planted aquariums but I feel very comfortable with reef tanks as well as freshwater fish only tanks. I need feedback on my dream for the perfect Southeast Asian (Indian) biotope...

I'm currently in the planning stages for a new aquarium that will be set up in January to house a trio of dwarf puffers and 2 ottos. The aquarium is 7.5 gallons, 24"L x 12.5"W x 6"H. I bought this lighting unit which has 28 watts of total lighting. I realize this will be extremely too high for such a shallow aquarium (right?) so I figured I'd take out the full spectrum bulb so it would only be 14 watts of 6500K T5 lighting. I bought a 100gph biowheel filter...if the flow is too high, I'll have to take it back, but I figured since it is such a long aquarium, I'll mount it on one side of the tank so it flows longwise (make sense?). The substrate will be pool filter sand...and only that unless someone recommends anything else. I don't plan putting on a CO2 system or dosing fertilizers unless absolutely necessary. The tank will be cycled fishlessly.

The questions is, what kind of plants can I keep in a setup like this? I'd like colorful plants that aren't impossible to keep alive and that won't outgrow the tank too quickly. I'd like lots of variety and pretty colors. I want to have driftwood and rocks as well, so some encrusting plants would be nice. I have java moss and java fern right now (in another tank). Obviously, I'm trying to create a biotope so I'll need native plants (This website lists native plants). Which ones should I try? Other suggestions?

I think that's about it. If you're still with me, thank you!!! Lol, I really appreciate your help. If I've left anything important off, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Indian is not south east asian really. But you don't really need much light for this tank since most of the plants are like low light.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The dimensions of the tank sound interesting. Some low growing crypts would look great in it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:33 PM

The only one that may be too hard without CO2 is the rotala macranda, and the wisteria grows like mad.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

What are some pretty, low-growing crypts? I googled it but can't find much. More suggestions would be nice as well. The tank is cycling so I've got some time to find out what I want to put in there

Where do you guys buy your plants? Online?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
A lot of people buy c. parva but lucens or wendtii would be commonly available. Wendtii can get huge, and I do mean huge, but thinning it out shouldn't be a problem since it grows rather slowly compared to most plants. Using that many crypts in your 'scape could prove troublesome if and when they decide to be difficult and die back all at once.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode