Duo Nano Journal (56k Warning) Updated 12/21/2005 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Duo Nano Journal (56k Warning) Updated 12/21/2005

I'm taking a little break from my 55gal tank and picked up two 1 gallon nano tanks. I got the tanks from Tom Barr at an open house with SFBAAPS. The tank dimensions are 7"x5.5"x6"

Right now the tanks are empty but I would like to pick up some ADA soil from aquaforest for these 2 tanks. Here are a couple pictures.

I got a mini diffuser that I might use, but its really going to depends on how much light I'm going to put over and or what plants I decide to use.

If i do end up using co2 in the tank, I'd like to pick up one of these little guys.

That's it for now...more to come when I get some substrate and lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Marc; 12-22-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Wish they were here.

Looking foward to seeing the directions you take with these little guys...and the equipment you use.

Thanks for posting the pic of the diffuser in the tank. I was wondering how the minis from AquaForest looked in small tanks.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

RA- I like the direction your nano tank is going.

I like the diffuser- but I'm hesitant to keep it in there. I'd rather save room for plants and scape.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, everything looks huge in tanks that small. Gonna be a challenge. Any little object in the tank really distracts because the eye easily takes in everything at once. It isn't like a 4 footer where your focus has to travel to see the diffuser hidden away in the corner. Nanos are a physical impossibilities. They are cubes that don't have corners Nowhere to hide.

Tom was talking about some cheap superfine airstones that supposedly work really well for Co2 diffusion, better than Co2 discs apparently. They offer them in really small sizes like 1.5" x .5" for $1.70. I might try a couple of those. Dunno if you have to subscribe to view this or not but I'll link his original comments anyway: http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275 .

And this is the link to purchase: http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../9751/cid/2328

If anyone can't read the post, he says he hasn't had the opportunity to test them for long-term performance yet. That's worth noting.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:15 PM
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
Ah too bad I couldn't read the article. I've seen those air stones before somewhere and the person was using it for co2 diffusion also. Great little tanks Marc and I can't wait to see it full established
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tank #1

Had some time today to set up one of the tanks.
Substrate is ADA soil and play sand.
I also used some pebbles that were on the floor at HomeDepot

Some weeping moss from Ian (sfbaaps)

Last edited by Marc; 11-28-2005 at 07:47 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
wow looks like a great start i really like the look of the ADA soil, can't wait to see how it turns out
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
why bother with the CO2 system? it's only 1 gallon. I'm not an expert or anything it just seems unnecessary.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yeah you are right- it really is unnecessary. Ive decided that's its going to be a low-maintenance tank.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
cool marc, what did you decide to do for lighting?

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Looks like a great start, Marc.

Eric

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I also used so pebbles that were on the floor at HomeDepot
Thief! No wonder the price of pebbles is so high.

Hey, that looks cool. Gonna be interesting to see how it looks finished. I'm also curious about the lighting you'll use.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the support all!

Quote:
Thief! No wonder the price of pebbles is so high.
HAHAH

Not sure what Im going to do for lights yet. I may just get one of those aqualight mini but it wont give me that open top feel.

Are there alternative clip on lights that are available?

My duo tanks might turn into an uno tank- Ive got to many tanks running in my room right now.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There's the Azoo Galaxiess. Just need to be painted. But I mean they may suit you just fine right out of the box. I'm just willing to do almost anything to keep the top of my tank open. It really is a nice look once it's finished.

I still think it'd be nice to find a really good adjustable PC desk lamp...for less than $100.

How much light are you wanting over each of those?

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The coralife aqualight mini is just about the same price as the Azoo lights you mentioned. I think the coralife is 2X9w. How many wats are the Azoo?
Also how are you liking your lights? I think you have 2 of them over one tank.

I really dont want too much light since I wont be dosing anything. Maybe 9-18 watts over the tank. Does that seem too much?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode