First 4 Gal Pic w/ QUESTIONS! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First 4 Gal Pic w/ QUESTIONS!

Here's a pic of my first planted tank--see the next post cuz Figgy put it up for me. It's still cloudy right now...

4 gal Finnex tank from eBay
13 watt daylight bulb
Eco-complete
1 cup of substrate from Figgy's 29 gal established tank

Stuffed with:
Hornwort
Java Moss

1 Red Nosed (?) Shrimp hitchiker...and 1 Nerite [?] snail
QUESTIONS:

I'm reading that you put in fast growers first, but am not sure how long you let them grow until you'd plant the tank the way you really want it? Why do some people here start right out with the plants they'll want to end up with--am I missing something?

Do I fertilize right away? I want to just use the 3=pack of Seachem Fluorish, Excel, and Comprehensive....

When do I start water changes?

Can I put in anything besides shrimp and snails?

OK, thanks,
Cherry

Cherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cherry's 4G Nano

Posting Pic for Cherry:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHERRY4.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1979  

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 06:14 AM

try and get the floaters in a corner so they dont block the light for other plants u want. Thne start picking out plants and just gettin them in the tank to grow out and what not. That seems to work well.

What i did is buy the plants i wanted get the aquascape going. And then i added some anachirs as floaters to combat algae. In a 4 gal if it has a filter you can get a nice group of shrimps, a couple more olive nerrite snails. and some oto's and maybe some small neon tetras stuff like that. THe fertizler should work well. But make sure not to over do it as algae comes fast.

AS for when to start the water changes its like any other tank. Start when the amonnia is getting to high and keep it around 1ppm. untill the cycle is over

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Okay,

Slowly starting to get the hang of it. So I can have it already 'scaped from the beginning. It's hard to find small amouts of plants for sale around here. The hornwort is from Figgy down the road [so far she hasn't asked for her shrimp back either ] and I have some baby tears coming from a forum member in Swap'n'Shop.

I might have to order a little batch of what I want and deal with the shipping fees and give the rest away.

Right now it just looks like a bowl of wet salad!

Also shopping for a little heater.

Cherry
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I believe the vendor you bought you tank from on ebay has the appropiate sized heaters. After your posts on this tank began I started to become courious about them and started to search for them as an option for my first Nano. The also have an 8 gallon that looks a little promissing.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
those guys are willing to sell the things separately btw (tank, light, filter, etc) if somebody wanted tank-only or something (as I will be doing.)

try looking on aquabid.com for some plants - it is sometimes cheaper than ordering from a store.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Bought a mini heater from the local version of WalMart. Called a Hydor mini heater. 7 watts. Submersible. The tank had been at 68 deg and is now at 70 deg. The box doesn't promise a big jump in temp, but it should help.

Cherry
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 04:40 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm2000
those guys are willing to sell the things separately btw (tank, light, filter, etc) if somebody wanted tank-only or something (as I will be doing.)

try looking on aquabid.com for some plants - it is sometimes cheaper than ordering from a store.
I asked them if they would sell the tanks by themselves, and they said no. I ended up buying a 4 gallon setup. Thanks for the thread Cherry, I wouldn't have known about the tank otherwise.

-Craig
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I know someone on the other thread said the filter wasn't any good. Mine has been running just for a few days but is still fine. I really like the set-up so far, but wish it had a cover. NOW I see they have an 8 gal as well

Cherry
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 05:14 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry
I know someone on the other thread said the filter wasn't any good. Mine has been running just for a few days but is still fine. I really like the set-up so far, but wish it had a cover. NOW I see they have an 8 gal as well

Cherry
Cherry, why do you wish it had a cover? I think you may find that you will eventually prefer not having a cover. Tanks look better without them and it's easier to get into them for maintenance. If you want a bigger tank with a cover in the future, the cheapest way to go would probably be a standard 10 gallon.

-Craig
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote: "Cherry, why do you wish it had a cover?"

Well, you're totally right it looks way better without, but it really seems to evaporate pretty fast without one, especially with the temp at 72d F....

Cherry
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, you do have to add more water, but it couldn't be that much with a 4 gallon

-Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode