Dwarf hairgrass babies! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf hairgrass babies!

Hey everyone im soo excited. every bunch of my dwarf hairgrass in my 2 gal hex nano has just sent up runners with little tufts of baby grass. Im so excited I wasnt sure it was goin grow under the 15watt compact screw in but it did! I recently added 3 oto's 1 died the other 2 made it pass the week and should live long and happy. They clean the tank very well. Tommorrow im goin to buy different mosses for the wood and some more grass maybe some glosso, and a couple cherry shrimps and a Nerite snail or two! Then i should be able to take out the floating anachirs i have in there for algae control WOHOO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 11:22 PM
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
That's great to hear BigB . How big do these otos grow anyways? 1 inch?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Glad to hear the DHG is working for you. I've just planted some in a nano myself and am looking forward to it doing well. When I first got into planted tanks I thought grassy/mossy plants were boring and I avoided them. Through my experiences, I am beginning to love these simple, soft-looking little guys and stems and broad-leafed plants are beginning to take a back seat in my mind.

I'm waiting for some mini moss I orderd to arrive, so the both of us may be trying to tie the stuff on at the same time. This will be my first time trying it. I'm wondering what the tricks are to making it look natural. Guess time will tell.

I'm waiting to be able to take out my floaters, too!

Good luck with your nano. They're a lot of fun. I'm actually starting to prefer smaller tanks over larger ones. They seems to be easier for me to wrap my brain around and I think they come out with stronger layouts because I don't end up getting distracted a long distance away from the centerpiece. Maybe I'm just inexperienced.

Ottos seem to get maybe 1.75" and I hope yours are more entertaining than mine have been.

Seems like it hard to beat using wood, grassy plants and moss for something simple, elegant and peaceful.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I haven't had much success with dwarf hairgrass. Although today when I finally re-set up my tank, I planted a few bunches of dwarf hairgrass and we'll see how it does.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
yea random, My 37 gal is very nice and was my first experience with planted tanks. And i still have alot of stem plants in there. But every change i make i lean more and more into simplicty. Everytime its gets more peaceful, Im still working on making the moss look natural, Maybe you comb it? haha i dunno. The place im buying it from has it all over their show tanks and it all flows in the same direction like comb hair. How they do it idunno?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode