Ocean Free Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ocean Free Tank

Well, stopped by Boun's place this weekend and set up a couple of these little tanks with him. Went home with one of them (already had one at home) and just set it up awhile ago. Just a couple of pics for now.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Hey Eric- nice tank...whats the lighting setup like?

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ibn,
Is Boun's in San Jose? I've been looking for an Ocean Free tank for a very long time now. Ocean Free tanks are rimless and corners are curved inthe front?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

The tank is lighted by 2x9W PC bulbs in an enclosure. It's actually the mini aqualight with 2 10,000k bulbs in it. Fits just about right over the tank with about 1" left in the back. Just waiting to verify if a Red Sea filter will fit in the space back there and if it does, it's going in.

Boun is actually in Oakland and not San Jose. I believe he got them from El Cerrito or somewhere out there. The tanks are rimless but don't have curve corners in the front. They make two different kinds of tanks and this one has the straight corners. Come to the open house next week and you can see a couple more of these. I helped him set up two of them over at his place.

Eric

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I live in oakland and san jose, is petco still having them on sale? I heard it was like 4 bucks! the original price was like 14 dollars. If their not on sale I might just spend the 14 bucks......
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Not quite sure myself. I got mine a couple of months before they went on sale and have been using it for a photography tank of sorts. The one that Boun gave me was from the sale and he did pick it up for a great price. That was about a month ago and I'm guessing that it's no longer for that price.

Eric

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:28 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
any details on the plants/rocks IBN?
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The rock looks an awful lot like and ADA rock.

Did you make a purchase over at Aqua Forest, Eric????

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Haha, good eye, Mike! That's a piece pf ADA rock there and costs is on the order of $3.99/lb. That piece there was an even $5 courtesy of Aqua Forest. Underneath the substrate is a single piece of ADA Iron Bottom broken up into four pieces (each stick is supposed to cover an area of 6x6) and is supposed to last 2 months. Just making a venture on some ADA products for the moment (also bought one of their diffusers, which might make it's way into a new reactor).

Plantwise, in front it's Utricularia sp. To the back left corner is Blyxa japonica, courtesy of Marcel. No idea about the moss on top there, but if Steve (scolley) sees this, hopefully he'll chime in. Steve sent it to Boun, who I got it from.

Eric

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:03 AM
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
Great IBN . I'm not sure if the tank is still on sale at Petco. I recently bought one and it was great though someone already stole the light It was the last one so I just grabbed it. Cost me $3.97 including tax.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBN
Cost me $3.97 including tax.
Rats...looks like they marked them down even more! I bought several this summer, on sale, for like $4.89! Plus tax.

Still beats $14.99 though!

--Rebecca

72g bowfront, 3.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026 & 2213, Pressurized CO2 w/JBJ Regulator & Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller, TurboTwist 12x UV Sterilizer

16g high, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete , Eheim ECCO 2231, Hagen Nutrafin CO2, TurboTwist 3x UV Sterilizer
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (116/100%)
I was at petco at El cerrito a couple weeks ago and they didn't have any. I think I bought all of theirs when they were on sale. I have two set up right now. I even set one up for my mother in-law

Here is a picture of mine:

Last edited by gw11ucb; 03-21-2007 at 04:34 AM.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
No idea about the moss on top there, but if Steve (scolley) sees this, hopefully he'll chime in. Steve sent it to Boun, who I got it from.
Wow! It is a miracle that I stumbled on this thread... Interesting looking and attractive tank BTW.

If you got the moss from Boun, who got it from me, according to my very loose records, it should have hitched a ride on the Java Fern covered driftwood he was foolish... I mean KIND! Right... that he was kind enough to buy from me.

In which case, it is either not a fern at all, but a type of benign algae that was growing on the driftwood, ala Gomer's entry in AGA 2004. Otherwise it could possibly be some garden variety Java Moss.

But as I recall, I sent the driftwood with some moss attached that had been given to me by John P. (I think). And I belive John indicated that the moss was Taxiphyllum alternans (Taiwan moss), but after reading the TAG v18 #3 moss article, I really, really suspect it is actually Vesicularia ferriei (Weeping moss). I'll see if I can get my 10 yr old to whip out his microscope and ID it for us.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (116/100%)
[QUOTE=scolley]

If you got the moss from Boun, who got it from me, according to my very loose records, it should have hitched a ride on the Java Fern covered driftwood he was foolish... I mean KIND! Right... that he was kind enough to buy from me.

QUOTE]

Steve you are too kind! Steve gave those plants to me for the cost of shipping. It will be one of the center piece for my rescaping of my 100 gallons tank this weekend with the SFBAAPS members.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

If you could get your kid to ID it, that would be great, Steve.

I'll pull it out of the tank and take some closer shots of it later on tonight. The fronds on it are very interesting looking to say the least.

Eric

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode