Hair Algae taking over 10g nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Pia

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hair Algae taking over 10g nano

Hi there.

During the summer, I set up a 10 gallon on my desk which currently has java moss, hygro, moneywort, crypts, hairgrass, and sag. subulata growing in Eco Complete and 5 harlequin rasboras swimming around. It has a standard 10g hood with two 10w screw in compact fluorescents for 10 hours a day, and I run a 2liter of DIY CO2 diffused via a haggen ladder. The filter is a standard HOB which is actually extremely quiet and doesn't disturb the surface much as long as the water level isn't allowed to go down too low.

With the exception of the hairgrass, which is dying, the plants don't look too bad, but there's no real growth. There's a little browning of leaves and a lot of green green spot algae, but the big problem is that the Java moss is infested with hair algea. I tried removing it by hand, but it comes back quickly. I had made some stock solutions from my dry fertilizers, but the CO2 doesn't hold out long enough so I think that actually made it worse.

I was thinking about building a simple hood and installing a 36w CF from AHSupply since it's doubtful that these spiral shaped screw-in lights are really giving me 10watts each. I was also toying with the idea of getting a small 2.5lb pressurized system since I absolutely HATE DIY CO2 and figured that maybe as long as I kept the bubble count low, it wouldn't cause massive chaos in the tank.

Any advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too little light + nutrients imbalance.
Hold off your stock solutions, dosing Excel will nicely compliment your DIY. And you should seriously consider upgrading the lights if you want to get plants to grow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode