audiotaylor's 2.5 gal with 2.5 gal sump & c02**56K warn** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor
audiotaylor's 2.5 gal with 2.5 gal sump & c02**56K warn**

Hey everyone,

I figured now was a good time to post my results with c02 given all the recient questions regarding it's use in nanos. Ive had this tank planted for almost a month and so far it's doing pretty good. I want to point out that co2 made a HUGE difference for me in the sence that my riccia is PEARLING like crazy just 24 hours after switching it on. I can also say that I had been dosing excel for the entire month previously with little to no pearling, although the growth was pretty good, and I didnt have to combat any algae. I cant go into too much detail at the moment because I have to get off the computer, but I will do the importiant thing and post the pics. There are more at this link http://imageevent.com/audiomaster/nano

Also, Im still working on the scape so bear with it for the moment...

Ill try to go into more detail later when I have more time. Hope you enjoy the pics.
-David

The day we would limit ourselves or adapt to the music scene, is the day Opeth dies. -Mikael Akerfeldt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice looking tank! I like how your choice of plants and hardscape makes the tank look bigger than it is.

It's good to hear that the CO2 is working out for you.

Do you have any fish or shrimp in the tank?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 02:22 PM
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
Beautiful nano! I check your pictures and what's the sump for? I mean it is a nano and IMO I don't think a sump is necessary. What rocks are those audiotaylor because they look pretty sweet

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 02:53 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sumps in a nano are there to double the water volume of the tank but still keep the display part of the tank small. It also keeps the equipment out of the display for the most part. Conditions go bad very quickly in tanks this small, so the double water volume will definately help in keeping things more stable. Many saltwater nanos are set up the same way.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaros
Sumps in a nano are there to double the water volume of the tank but still keep the display part of the tank small. It also keeps the equipment out of the display for the most part. Conditions go bad very quickly in tanks this small, so the double water volume will definately help in keeping things more stable. Many saltwater nanos are set up the same way.
Precicely! I have that tank heated, I have a co2 reactor, and I can use charcoal, floss and biological media to filter it with no equipment in the display tank. When I was first setting it up, I had even considered using a small bed of mud or fine-grained sand in the sump to keep a few freshwater clams. I decided against it because I dont feed enough to need them and it would just be more trouble.

Faust2001: thanks! I also really love the rocks, they are actually petrified wood that I got off ebay! I forget the sellers ID, but if you do a search you should be able to come across some. They were pretty cheap too; I think I got the whole bunch for under 20.00 shipped. Also, yes, I have a lone cherry shrimp (partially visible in the second-to-last pic amidst the tangle of diandra) and 2 ghost shrimp. I want to get several more shrimp, they are so cool! I think Ill try and find some bumble bee shrimp and some more cherries.

The day we would limit ourselves or adapt to the music scene, is the day Opeth dies. -Mikael Akerfeldt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaros
Sumps in a nano are there to double the water volume of the tank but still keep the display part of the tank small. It also keeps the equipment out of the display for the most part. Conditions go bad very quickly in tanks this small, so the double water volume will definately help in keeping things more stable.
Oh, I see. So, a sump is for CHEATING!

jk

...sorta.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias
Oh, I see. So, a sump is for CHEATING!

jk

...sorta.
its more like the nano with a sump is an optical illusion it looks bigger because it IS i can deffinatly see it in SW nanos tho those are crazy....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode