JBJ 6g Nanocube - Journal (NEW PICS - 03/05/06) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Post JBJ 6g Nanocube - Journal (NEW PICS - 03/05/06)

I just ordered by JBJ 6g Nanocube today from Aquariumplants.com. It should be here sometime late next week.

Also, I just completed an order from BigAlsOnline.com for the following items for my 6g:

1 bag of Onyx Sand (should be plenty for a 6g!)
Hydor Ekip 200 Thermopump (replaces the crappy stock pump and is a 50w heater as well) - rated at 90gph which is less than stock. I've read the stock one is too powerful (106gph) in general - not sure if it would be for a planted tank or not but I didn't want to risk it. Plus I get a 50w heater .
Corallife Digital Thermometer - Never had one, thought I'd try it
Seachem Flourish - 500mL
Seachem Flourish Iron - 500mL
Seachem Excel - 500mL
Seachem Prime - 500mL
Seachem Phosphate Test Kit (not sure if this was needed. It's mainly a "just--in-case" item)
Hagen Battery-Operated Pump (for emergencies)

Macros will be purchased either tomorrow or over the weekend from Greg Watson.

Plant decisions will come over the next week or two as I research what I want to grow. I also need to buy some aquascaping scissors (not from BigAls - I don't like their selection).

Fish plans are 2 dwarf puffers (1 male, 1 female), 1 otto, and 1 cherry shrimp.

Water parameters will be tested out of the tap this weekend and I'll post those in this thread. My water is fairly alkaline which the puffers will appreciate.

Pictures of everything ordered (1 big pic) will be posted next week. I am not in a hurry at all to begin this tank. I really want to take my time - it's already 3-5 months in the making with all the research I've done, plus I've had a 29g & 45g planted tank in the past. My past results are not very good because I had intense PC lighting and little-to-no CO2 injection. Bad idea!

Thanks for reading this and for help/suggestions/advice in advance!

Last edited by 99RedSi; 03-05-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Question

I just read that given my tank size and "medium" light, I won't need to dose macros. Is that correct?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 11:50 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
not sure how long that cherry shimp will be around with two dwarf puffers roaming a tank that small

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedSi
I just read that given my tank size and "medium" light, I won't need to dose macros. Is that correct?
Most likely, yes. You should be fine with daily dosings of Excel and some regular Flourish once a week.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 05:18 AM

Angry

Ditto on the cherry shrimp concern. My puffers would go for them in a nano-second! And, for the record, they also made a meal out of their oto...

Fig
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lightbulb

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did some further reading/searching on this forum and came to the same conclusion yesterday about the cherry shrimp .

I will try the oto, though, and see how he fares...

I need some type of algae "crew" for this thing!

So scratch the macros off the list. If absolutely needed, I can dose KNO3 for Nitrates since I still have a 5 year old bottle of "Green Light Stump" remover .

More to come...
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 05:58 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
if you need some algae control look into some large snails, basically anything larger than the species that comes in as hitchhikers on plants(mostly anachris) i aclimated a pair of algae snails to my brackish tank a couple of days ago and they are doing great in with my f8 puffer. you can also buy ghost shrimp cheap, while they don't do such a great job of algae eating they will eat debris in you substrate and provide the occasional tasty snack for the puffers. i usually pick up a couple when i stop by the lfs and aclimate them to my brackish tank and put them in at night while my f8 is sleeping and i'll see them in the rocks for a couple of days. malaysion trumpet snails supossedly are also great algae eaters and stir up substrate but are suppedly impossible to get rid of once they get established in your tank.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thumbs up

I received the aquarium on Monday afternoon and can finally update this thread and post a few pics!

Check out the box!

Ahhh, she's beautiful!

Now the fun (mods) begin . The only mods I plan on doing are replacing the stock pump with a Hydor Ekip 200 Thermopump (heater + pump) and replacing the stock 50mm fans with some that are a bit more quiet.

I'm going to replace the fans before actually starting the tank.

My order from BigAlsOnline.com will be here tomorrow, however! It'll be tough not to want to set it up.

It's probably going to be a few more weeks before it's actually up and running.

One question: put in a bunch of fast growing stem plants or not? I'm not sure how feasible it is with a nano-size aquarium.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 PM

I've gotten to where I start my nanos with a big buncha hornwort. Prolly others can give you more suggestions, but I find that works very well for me and has saved me buying and starting with more expensive "plant packages". Also it depends on how techie you go. The first jbj nano I had I planted up with a "package", flipped on all the lights, fired up the Hagen co2 thingey, dosed the heck out of it with chems, and a jungle grew out of the tank and into my bedroom.

Now I like lower maintenance tanks and limit photoperiods and forgo the chems & co2 and just use eco-complete and hornwort. Then I look around for plants more to scale...

I must've had PsychoKillerPuffers because they would eat or attack every snail in sight. Danyal's puffer prolly had Sensitivity Training?

Fig
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgy
I've gotten to where I start my nanos with a big buncha hornwort. Prolly others can give you more suggestions, but I find that works very well for me and has saved me buying and starting with more expensive "plant packages". Also it depends on how techie you go. The first jbj nano I had I planted up with a "package", flipped on all the lights, fired up the Hagen co2 thingey, dosed the heck out of it with chems, and a jungle grew out of the tank and into my bedroom.

Now I like lower maintenance tanks and limit photoperiods and forgo the chems & co2 and just use eco-complete and hornwort. Then I look around for plants more to scale...

I must've had PsychoKillerPuffers because they would eat or attack every snail in sight. Danyal's puffer prolly had Sensitivity Training?

Fig
Is your JBJ now a "low maint" tank? Because most people are telling me that I have "medium" light, which to me indicates that it's NOT a high maintenance/high growth tank.

I originally planned on getting plants that fit "to scale" for this size tank - small plants, in other words, that don't grow super tall super fast.

I was only planning on dosing Excel for any CO2 - no Hagen ladder or DIY CO2 for me. I don't want weedy growth.

Do you have any pics of your JBJ tanks?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 11:25 PM

I had the 6 set up for 2 dwarf puffers: there's one of the little divils right in the center of this photo--

And the whole tank:

I eventually tore it down because of the too high flow and the racket of the noise of the fans, then it cracked when I moved to another house. It had ecocomplete, java fern, coffeefolia, moss balls, driftwood.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Question

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this since I want alot of input (maybe a new thread in the "plant" section?) but I need some plant advice for my nano.

* I am not going to be replacing the fans in my Nanocube afterall, I just don't feel up to it. I've decided to put a small fan on top of the cube, should the need arise (summer).

Listed below is my current list of plants that I'm interested in for my nano, however I cannot have them all (obviously) and some may be too high maintanence, given the size of the tank.

Baby Tears

Banana plant
Nymphoides aquatica

Compact Hygro
Hygrophila corymbosa 'compact'

Moneywort
Bacopa monnieri

Orchid Lily
Barclaya longfoilia

Pearlweed (Pearl Grass)
Hemianthus micranthemoides

Asian Ambulia
Limnophila sessiliflora

Petite nana
Anubias barteri v. nana 'petite'

Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne wendtii

Java fern (either this or moss attached to rock)
Microsorum pteropus

Alternanthera
Alternanthera reineckii v. "rosaefolia"

Tiger lotus
Nymphaea lotus

Possible:

Watersprite
Ceratopteris thalictroides

Cryptocoryne beckettii
Cryptocoryne beckettii

Hornwort
Ceratophyllum submersum

Dwarf hairgrass (does good in sand)
Eleocharis acicularis

Let me re-iterate - I'm NOT going to select all of these. I'm not even sure how many would be a good amount - this is really the first time I've planned a 'scape. The last time I had a planted tank (5 yrs ago) I just threw in plants and didn't care too much what I had. I also didn't know the extensive root systems of amazon swords too well.

Let me know how many and which you think would be ideal. The tank is about 11.5" H x 10.5" W x 9" D - advertised as 6g but the filter takes about 2-3 inches of depth in the back.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I keep Hemianthus micranthemoides in all of my nanos, it is an extremely hardy plant whichs does great without Co2.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lightbulb

After some snafus and final pieces to order, I finally have everything setup. I'm going to setup the tank this weekend with just the substrate and water. Plants will come after the Thanksgiving holiday since I'll be out of town during that weekend.

I need to run the tank for a few days to see if I can sleep with the slight noise, since it's in my bedroom.

Initial 'scape:

Fast growers galore: 4 bunches of a fast-growing stem plant (2 Wisteria, 2 Hygro). Or replace one for hornwort or something .. not 100% sure which fast-growers to go with but does it really matter since none of them will be in the tank long-term? And how long should I leave them in there? Someone told me 2-3 months!! That's a bit long, isn't it??

Is that too many for such a small tank? Advice?
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
If you're willing to spend a bit of money to find out, your puffers may coexist with the shrimp given that they are well-fed. But they could turn on them at any moment, just FYI (its been done, successfully, by some. )

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode