Newbie: How much flow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Newbie: How much flow?

Hi all,

I've decided to take the plunge into planted tanks and I will be converting my existing 12g DX nano cube into a planted tank (why? because i don't have to buy a new tank to start!).

Presently, I have an Eheim Ecco filter hooked up to it (modded intake in the back wall, with a return bar at the bottom back wall). I also removed the stock pump and replaced it with a Maxi-Jet 900 (this was due to my previous salt water set up). The Maxi Jet returns water to the tank via a Hydor Flo return that gently agitates the surface.

Anyway, my questions are:
Is this too much flow for a planted tank?
Should I ditch the Maxi Jet 900 and instead use my spare Maxi Jet 400 (120 gph)?
How about the spray bar? [I had planned to place this against the back wall and direct the jets back at the wall in an effort to reduce flow.]

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

--Manny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No comments....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 03:06 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Flow kinda depends on what fish you wanna keep. Some like a lot of flow (I mean a LOT, like just enough so their eyes don't get sucked out) and others like it kind of mellow (like bettas, gourami) The issue with a planted tank, especially a heavily planted one, is to get enough flow *through* the plants.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 03:30 PM

I run 2 types of flow filters on my 55gal 1 of the pumps is a top fin flow pump for a 20gal tank and then the others a flow pump for a 50gal tank. both r set on oppest ends of the tank with the water flow working in the same dirtion. I use to have a power head in the tank but didn't like all the movement it did to the plants and sand so i droped down to just the two flow pumps. Now i feel like they r doing just as good alob as the power head was so the way i see it from reading other post on here is to each there own. this is an old pic of the tank before all the plant was added and it's got just the two flow pumps [IMG]f58
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies!

Well, I will likely start out with the 400 and wait to use the 900 until i have fish in the tank - and then see how the flow affects the plants and the fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode