Need advise...newbie - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need advise...newbie

This is my 5th try on a planted tank...well, the other 4 did not go as it was supposed to. .Anyway need some advise from you guys.

Frontview

Sideview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Here's the problem, I've got a 36watt PL lighting and according to the WPG rules i should have about 3.6 wpg. But since the rules does not applies to anything lower than 20g, i am suspecting that the lights are not sufficient.

1. My riccia fluitans is growing like crazy, but there's no pearling.

2. The glosso seems to be dying off although there's new growth.

3.The stem plants on the far right (don't know what is it called) is growing but the bottom part of the plants is melting off. (leaf turns light brown)

What do you guys advise? should i add in more lights?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

oopss..forgot to add in the tank specs.

10 g tank (3 weeks old)
Substrates: Black gravel
Fertilizers: ADA multi bottom tabs
Lightings: 1 x 36 Watt PL
Filtration: Hang on filter
Co2: DIY (estimated 2 BPS)
Water change: Weekly

Fauna:
5 molly fry (Kidnapped it from the parents in my friends tank)
5 sparkling gourami (Bought it!)

Please help, i don't want a 6th try. Thanks in advance.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 08:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
In a few weeks, the tank will be fine and a crazy jungle, just wait it out, since it still is a fairly new tank. Nice job.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

well...in that case, i guess i gotta be patience with it then. Thank you, thank you.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I see a lot of potential here! You malasians are always impressive. I can say that right?

It's not uncommon for glosso to die back before sending out runners. Different growth conditions require the plants to grow differently. Personally though, I'm not sure glosso is a good pic for the back corner. It's true glosso is a fast plants, but it's not really tall enough for that spot in the tank. I'd go with micranthemoides or more of that green stem plant you have on the right-- it's very pretty BTW.

The riccia is going to look nice. If I were you though, I'd try to get white sand in the foreground instead of the black gravel. The white stones the riccia is on will always be somewhat visible, and it's a big contrast between the white stone and the black gravel.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:45 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
You've put a lot of work and planning into it, and it looks nice.

I like the layered look. The Riccia looks awesome. Are you planning on having some background plants behind your Glosso or are you going for a Glosso plateu?

Keep us updated.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments and suggestion guys, appreciate it alot and really did boost up some spirit for me to proceed to work on another tank (7g)
As for the glosso at the back corner...he he...i made it that way cos i know that i will be too lazy to trim it and plant it all over again.

greenmiddlefinger,
Do you think it will be nice if i cover up the background with moss wall since glosso can't grow that tall even with its multiple layers? If yes what kind of moss would you suggest?

Faust2001,
Thanks for the comments, will keep updating on the growth, and also keep bugging you guys with more questions. Ha ha.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 03:26 AM

I personally hate moss walls, though I know they're popular in Malaysia and Singapore.

My Reasoning:

-Aquariums look nice if you make them look bigger than they are.
-In order to do this, you have to make it look like "not just a box"
-moss walls draw attention to the back wall
-drawing attention to the wall makes it look like "just a box"

However, moss walls made with cork bark/bark/bamboo/other rock instead of mesh can look good, the way they do in an a vivarium. Those walls have "multiple dimensions" that are "un-box-like."

Even that way, using a moss wall makes everything seem small. It becomes a "magnified scape" rather than a land-scape. It's like looking at tree roots instead of looking at the forest. Both can be pretty. You just should be aware of what you're doing.

If you want an easy to maintain area back there, I'd say stick with the glosso and plant some crypts or grass-like plants in addition in between the glosso. Anubias would be ok too as long as the rhizome isn't burried. Anubias "petite" could be good.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Guess i will get some hair grass to plant in between the glosso. But will the glosso cover up the hair grass? since glosso is a faster growing plant? and will it look nice with only a few strand here and there? sorry with all the questions, and thanks a million for all the advise given.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 04:47 AM

glosso might. XD

But then, glosso might amass over everything and leave it a giant mound of glosso. XD

Basically, with glosso, you know in advance you're going to have to keep trimming it back. I think some stronger groups of hair grass will be better than just a scattering.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Bought the hair grass, gonna do the planting tonight. Thanks.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Planted Member

Can you get us an updated pic when the "dust" settles?? THX!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 PM

No pearling from Riccia is a sure sign that there is not enough CO2 in the water. Measure your KH and pH to get an idea of how much you have. You want around 30mg/l of CO2.

DIY CO2 and a HOB filter make it more difficult to get enough CO2 in the water. Try to make sure that the return from the HOB is not splashing into the tank as this let's a lot of CO2 out.

Once you get the CO2 fixed, you need to look at your fertilizers...

I like the aquascape!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Did not get the time to plant the hairgrass...still in my cultivation tank. Too darn lazy..hehe...anyway will post the updated pics soon after i plant in the hairgrass.

At the mean time i am also trying to DIY a hood with 60watts of lightings for the tank. just hoping that it will not boil the water and fry the fishes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode