saltwater nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)
saltwater nano?

any1 have a gud website for making a saltwater nano tank.... my friend.. wants to setup one but we both have no exp. about saltwater... any help will be appriciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Try nano-reef.com.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Have you tried here: www.nano-reef.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

there is also some good information at www.reefcentral.com, just look for the Nanos section in the Forum
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 PM

www.reefcentral.com is a good website... look for me there... my name is Guppy_Girl same as it is here!!! I have a Nano reef that I put Dwarf Seahorses in. You could also probably put in some Damsels or something like that.... depending on what size tank it is....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 PM

You are keeping dwarfs in a reef? Any deaths yet from corals, etc.?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:11 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
for beginners a nano tank is not suggested because it is way too unforgiving if you make ANY mistakes and is extremly limiting in the way of livestock
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:09 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I did salt for some 20 years before going freshwater planted. I really disagree with those who say it's too fussy for a nano. It is, in fact, quite easy and lovely. I even had a 7 gallon biOrb set up as saltwater [with it's funky undergravel filter!] and bred a pair of clowns in it.

Get a copy of the book The New Marine Aquarium by Paletta--it actually walks you through a tiny set-up. You do need to be careful with stocking--and don't bother with anemones or coral. A really nice set up can be put together with a 6 gal nano cube, no sweat.

Fig
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:11 AM

I would not recommend people to keep dwarf seahorses with corals. Check www.seahorse.org for more info on them. Not to say it is not possible, it is just that the seahorses may not do well in the long run for a couple of reasons.

I disagree when people say your first saltwater tank should not be a small one or should be 30g or more. My first saltwater tank was a 2.5g nano reef with soft corals (no fish or other live stock other than clean up crews). It did well for over 6 months until roofers knocked junk into my tank from the ceiling and destroyed it. (Bad me for not having it completely covered over the filter). So starting with a small saltwater tank is not impossible, it just takes a lot of planning, which should be done regardless. It will also cost considerably more to set up per gallon than a larger tank. (May also need a bit of do-it-yourself work. Mine took alot of diy on the tank, surface skimmer, auto-top off, filter/refugium, light/hood, etc.)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 02:06 PM

Dwarf seahorses never see coral in the wild. I think the closest they see, are gorgonians. Corals wil kill them. And be careful with the live rock too if you use any, or anything you add to the tank, you do not want to introduce hydroids into a dwarf tank.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

I have to chime in on the nano-reef debate. I find my Nano Cube 6 to be easy to keep compared to freshwater planted tanks. You have a large selection of corals that can be kept in nano-reefs. Just do some research before jumping in. Try to figure out what corals you want to keep & setup the tank with the correct lighting & tank conditions, then you should have success.

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 04:09 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
do you have something bigger in mind for that skunk clown when it gets full grown?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)
i've not yet setup the nano i've been very busy w/ study... im plannin to have a nano tank in my dorm so that i have a getaway from all my studies... do i need any test kits???? im really new to salt water... and i want my first try to be right cause im in a tight budget....my friend gave me a ten gallon tank... do i need a skimmmer? what is a skimmer ? what kind of equipmnt do i need??? im a newb sry for all the question... i dont really have any time to do some research...... if any1 have some time .... can u guys gave me a step by step.... how to do it.......... if u guys have some time,, it will be greatly appriciated ( sry for my english its not my first laguage)
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal
do you have something bigger in mind for that skunk clown when it gets full grown?
I've had my little skunk clown for 3-1/2 years now. I just don't think he's going to grow much larger. Since he is the only fish in the tank, he will stay a male and not grow as large as a female would. Many small fish grow larger in fish tanks than they would in the wild because of over feeding. My little clown gets fed a small amout twice a day, Mon thru Fri, and normaly no food on weekends, because it's an office nano-reef.
Rick

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .

Last edited by ALIFER; 10-06-2005 at 10:35 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:10 PM

On a nano, you wouldn't really need a skimmer as much as you would on a larger tank. For lighting I recommend the kits from AHSupply if you are going to be keeping corals. One of your main concerns is going to be heat. Smaller tanks can overheat really quickly especially with the bright lights you need for the corals. So a DIY hood with a fan is something you might want to look into. A 10 gallon tank is a pretty good size tank to start with as the overheating doesn't occur as quickly. Since you are new to SW completely I would recommend finding a good LFS that deals with it and buying premixed water from them until you get the hang of mixing etc. Buy enough to fill the tank obviously and then more to do water changes. Remember to NEVER top off tank evaporation with salt water and keep up with top-offs. When the water evaporates it leaves behind all the minerals and the water left in the tank gets more concentrated, so if you add more salt.... it isn't good. =P The best way to keep all the extra water is to fill a bucket with it and put a powerhead in the bucket to keep the water moving and the salt and traces well mixed. It may cost a bit buying new water all the time but it usually isn't too expensive and it's a lot easier than buying big bags of salt and the equipment to measure the specific gravity etc. for a beginner. For substrate you can find live sand at pet stores or start with the usual SW substrates. Next you will need live rock. It is best to buy the highest quality live rock you can afford and buy 1-2 pounds per gallon of water. You will need around 10-20 pounds for your tank. When you put the rock in your tank try to stack it so obviously it wont fall and try to keep as much of the outer surface of the rock in the open. This as well as the sand will be the basis of your biological filtration and is very important. Now you need to choose the type of setup you want. You can go with a reef or a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) tank. FOWLR is pretty cool because you can keep fish and inverts that would damage and eat corals and also predatory fish. Another plus with a FOWLR tank is the cost, obviously you save a ton of money on corals and lighting. If you want corals, you will need to do a lot of research to figure out what types of corals you would like to keep and their individual needs and compatability. Corals are like plants, they go from low-light to high-light so obviously you will need to plan your lighting accordingly. Now comes the fun stuff, the fish and inverts (besides the coral). You will need a clean-up crew for the tank. Snails for algae, snails to stir the sand to keep it from going anaerobic, shrimp, hermit crabs, etc. depending on your needs and of course their compatability with fish and corals. You can look at some sites that sell "Clean-Up Crews", especially sites that sell them specifically for nanos and to save on shipping you can make a list of what is included in the packages and try to find them all locally. I would definately get the test kits if you can afford them. If you are keeping corals you will also need to buy them food, once again depending on species. Many corals rely on nourishment through feeding rather than photosynthesis. These are usually better for lower light tanks. Foods range from zooplankton, phytoplankton, silver sides, etc. And needless to say you will need a filter and probably a powerhead or 2. I've covered a lot of the basics but you are going to need to a lot of a research before setting the tank up. Good luck.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode